Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I recently purchased the above vehicle and noticed that the air pipe that leads to the air filter had what appears to be a part missing which has left two largish holes for air to enter.

I will post a pic shortly and welcome any comments if this could cause any problems with the fuel to air ratio and if so should I just duct tape the holes up.
I'm suffering a los of power at the moment and have checked and cleaned the MAP sensor, all ignition coils appear to be fine. the power loss is so bad that I battle to getup my driveway in the mornings sometimes taking 4 attempts to get up the driveway. She idles fine in the morning but my driveway is quite steep so I rev her high but by the time I reach the gate, there is no power not even in first gear. The total kilo's is 145000.
On the highway she performs well but I have to use the gears frequently when there is a hill approaching. I have noticed that she is a little rough between 1000 RPM and 1750 RPM, thereafter as smooth as a babies bum.

For the record, I did add a bottle of injection cleaner to the tank thinking this could be the problem but as yet there has been no improvement. Perhaps over time this will improve though I'm not sure how effective this stuff is or if it's the cause of the problem.
I'm not sure what else to look for as a newbie to Renault but the loss of power is frustrating me to no end. Today I will check the air filter and see if it's clogged up or not.

All comments welcome please.

Please advise from the pic if I'm missing a part and what I should do about it.

Regards
Mack

Attachments

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
7,239 Posts
I would close them up using whatever method you chose - it looks like the typical plastic resonance chamber usually found in this location is missing - it will cause noise but will not affect the A/F at all - it will also cause the engine to ingest warmer than intended air so your timing will get retarded by probably up to 6 degrees depending on the measured intake temperature ................. quite possible will have an effect on power delivery but not to the extent you describe.
have noticed that she is a little rough between 1000 RPM and 1750 RPM, thereafter as smooth as a babies bum.
If it was my vehicle I would investigate the VVT system's actions associated with the dephaser/cambelt - you will need a Renault speaking scanner to do this.

Can I also suggest you actually participate in threads you start :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I just use some duct tape and close those holes up and see what happens?

I will participate in future threads as I gain experience, no problem, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Should I just use some duct tape and close those holes up and see what happens?
Hello Mack
We have the same car as you, and you definitely need that resonance box!
I can't say it will fix all the problems, but if there's something definitely and obviously wrong then it's always worth fixing it first.
There are some on Ebay, I can't recommend a particular one, but here's an example on the link. Also a picture of our engine bay. The resonance box sits on top of the battery cover.
Renault Clio Mk3 (06) 1.6 K4M Air Intake Resonator Box 8200305471 | eBay
Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Technical Supremo.
7,239 Posts
Straight after that I lost power, erratic idling, vehicle is surging on the highway and my petrol consumption has gone through the roof.
have noticed that she is a little rough between 1000 RPM and 1750 RPM, thereafter as smooth as a babies bum.

For the record, I did add a bottle of injection cleaner to the tank thinking this could be the problem but as yet there has been no improvement.
I really do not understand how both those reports can be factual..........................:unsure:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Mack
We have the same car as you, and you definitely need that resonance box!
I can't say it will fix all the problems, but if there's something definitely and obviously wrong then it's always worth fixing it first.
There are some on Ebay, I can't recommend a particular one, but here's an example on the link. Also a picture of our engine bay. The resonance box sits on top of the battery cover.
Renault Clio Mk3 (06) 1.6 K4M Air Intake Resonator Box 8200305471 | eBay
View attachment 197360
What goes inside the resonator box, anything because i can get a second hand one?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
While you are hunting for a new resonator, I would cover the holes with duct tape.
If only because you have unfiltered air being pulled in and IIRC from my couple of visits to SA, it can be quite dusty.
And do swap air filter, that alone can rob significant power.

The idea of the resonator is that it damps out air movement as the throttle closes.
Without it but the holes blanked, may get surges or overrun when you let your foot off...you will find out how bad or not this may be.
With the holes open...not sure (apart from bypassing the airfilter)
If a sensor (MAF) before the holes, could be causing havoc with fuel/air ratio but normally petrol burners use a MAP on the inlet...which is more relevant to their control.

But try the duct tape, it will do no harm (with the caveat above) and may improve your situation

·
24,510 Posts
Getting back to the MAF sensor is there no point in removing it and cleaning it at all?
I don't think you have a MAF sensor. (Mass Air Flow...usually used on diesels)
LVR is convinced you don't.
You will have a MAP. (Manifold Air Pressure...usual on Petrols)

In your other thread you seemed to say that you had already cleaned a sensor???

I am firmly of the belief that you do not clean MAF or MAP sensors, if they are working, leave alone.
If obvious contamination such as oil, a light spray of electrical cleaner in the sensor area, letting it wash out the oil...let dry.
Not WD40, that will leave a residue.
Not carb cleaner as some can be a little agressive.
No cotton buds or wipes or poking anything with a cocktail stick.
And sort the oil cos it should not be there.
If it does need replacing, a genuine OEM one but being as that will be costly, don't swap on a guess, really needs diagnostics to show what is or isn't happening.

·
Technical Supremo.
7,239 Posts
I don't think you have a MAF sensor. (Mass Air Flow...usually used on diesels)
LVR is convinced you don't.
The K4M does not feature a MAF.

Math is used to determine air flow by using IAT, MAP, ambient baro reading and few other things in the ECU.

Some petrol engines can and do feature a MAF, but not on this. Often, when found on a petrol engine, you will also find a turbo present

·
Technical Supremo.
7,239 Posts
Does the resonator box fit over the two holes and keep them closed or do they open and close?
Can you please participate in a sensible manner - quoting a question/comment from me without answering what I queried is not going to get you answers to the questions you THINK you need

I really do not understand how both those reports can be factual..........................:unsure:
Please explain to us how and why you are posting contradicting information - if you are looking for solutions to a problem from here, stick to the facts only and do not embellish.:unsure:

We are about to go onto page 2 with this and you have obviously not bothered to read or tried to understand what has been posted here already................

I would close them up using whatever method you chose - it looks like the typical plastic resonance chamber usually found in this location is missing - it will cause noise but will not affect the A/F at all - it will also cause the engine to ingest warmer than intended air so your timing will get retarded by probably up to 6 degrees depending on the measured intake temperature ................. quite possible will have an effect on power delivery but not to the extent you describe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow taking some serious flack here folks but here's an interesting question, why do certain owners of vehicles fit these fancy air induction systems to their vehicles if the heat from the engine is going to increase the timing by 6 degrees make a louder noise and probably not as effective as as the OEM filters, in other words they have bypassed the resonance box and everything else for some what a little more noise and performance, don't get it.

·
24,510 Posts
why do certain owners of vehicles fit these fancy air induction systems to their vehicles
Because.....
They are twassocks
Fell for the hype
Think it looks cool
Cos their mate has the same
Read too many fairy stories as a kid
They like the noise.
Loads of reasons...what you won't find is anyone who will admit to the mods being a failure.

Very similar to many "go faster" gizmos that you can spend your money on.
If you are tuning the engine so that it needs to breathe better, induction kits make sense, otherwise, swapping your OEM air filter for a clean new one likely has more benefits

Modern cars have far less ventilation under the bonnet then older models so the bonnet space is hotter.
Makers go to a lot of trouble to get air from outside...where it will be cooler.
Cooler air is denser and can hold more oxygen so the ECU bases a lot of fuel/air calculations and when to fire the spark on air temperature

1 - 20 of 76 Posts