Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Because.....
They are twassocks
Fell for the hype
Think it looks cool
Cos their mate has the same
Read too many fairy stories as a kid
They like the noise.
Loads of reasons...what you won't find is anyone who will admit to the mods being a failure.

Very similar to many "go faster" gizmos that you can spend your money on.
If you are tuning the engine so that it needs to breathe better, induction kits make sense, otherwise, swapping your OEM air filter for a clean new one likely has more benefits

Modern cars have far less ventilation under the bonnet then older models so the bonnet space is hotter.
Makers go to a lot of trouble to get air from outside...where it will be cooler.
Cooler air is denser and can hold more oxygen so the ECU bases a lot of fuel/air calculations and when to fire the spark on air temperature
;)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Modern cars have far less ventilation under the bonnet then older models so the bonnet space is hotter.
Makers go to a lot of trouble to get air from outside...where it will be cooler.
Cooler air is denser and can hold more oxygen so the ECU bases a lot of fuel/air calculations and when to fire the spark on air temperature
^ ^ DDad has raised an important point there, i.e. the air your car is getting is not at the temperature that the computer is reading on the outside temperature sensor, so it can't calculate properly.
I have several times taken off the front air pipe (on the Clio it seems to be in the way of almost everything!) so I know what efforts Renault have gone to, installing the pipe from those holes to the front grille. It must be there for a reason.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,497 Posts
To be fair, the inlet air temp in the manifold (or by it) has more effect on the calculations.
But that doesn't change that outside air is colder, denser and hence gives more bang for your buck.

And as LVR said, timing will likely alter with higher inlet temps to prevent knock (pinking) which also degrades performance and efficiency.

·
24,497 Posts
Sometimes when I change from 4th to 3rd when approaching a hill it sounds like there is some knocking or pinking and no power so i end up changing to 2nd gear.
That could relate to your missing resonator.... those holes will be sucking in warm air.
Possibly worse, the amount will be varying depending on revs and conditions.

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
7,230 Posts
^ ^ DDad has raised an important point there, i.e. the air your car is getting is not at the temperature that the computer is reading on the outside temperature sensor, so it can't calculate properly.
I have several times taken off the front air pipe (on the Clio it seems to be in the way of almost everything!) so I know what efforts Renault have gone to, installing the pipe from those holes to the front grille. It must be there for a reason.
Yeah don't want to start splitting hairs but the ECU is in fact calculating "properly" because it is not using the outside air temp sensor for mass flow purposes at all - the IAT sensor mounted right on the inlet manifold is properly measuring the actual air temp ingested by the engine - sure its warmer than intended because of the holes where the resonator should be mounted, but the ECU is doing the absolute correct thing if the IAT is still working properly

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yeah don't want to start splitting hairs but the ECU is in fact calculating "properly" because it is not using the outside air temp sensor for mass flow purposes at all - the IAT sensor mounted right on the inlet manifold is properly measuring the actual air temp ingested by the engine - sure its warmer than intended because of the holes where the resonator should be mounted, but the ECU is doing the absolute correct thing if the IAT is still working properly
Ok, thank you for the clarification. But gotta ask - why does it have an outside air temperature sensor.
My understanding is that's the temperature of the air going through the air filter and throttle body. But I'm not a science expert! ;)

·
Technical Supremo.
7,230 Posts
Ok, thank you for the clarification. But gotta ask - why does it have an outside air temperature sensor.
My understanding is that's the temperature of the air going through the air filter and throttle body. But I'm not a science expert! ;)
You can unplug the outside air temp sensor and it will not affect the timing or mixture on the ECU at all - only the IAT sensor is used for that purpose.

The outside air temp sensor is generally used for AC and safety/stability purposes (dangerous ambient temps causing possible icing of roads and the AC's control system to prevent engine damage when the condenser is overloading the cooling system and to govern climate control)

My understanding is that's the temperature of the air going through the air filter and throttle body.
It is exactly that yes, but that same air spends a lot of time in the hot plumbing insides of the engine bay and picks up a lot of heat that way - the result is with ambient around 25C you will see around 50C on the IAT ................ and THAT is the air the entering the cylinders from the intake manifold.

Above about 15C, I have logged around 1.5 degree retard on timing for every 10C temperature increase seen by the IAT

·
24,497 Posts
My only real concern on IAT operation on OP's car is cos of the resonator holes.
When throttle isn't working too hard, a large proportion of the air will be coming from outside..cooler.
Throttle open, such as when changing down to get more power, there will be a proportion sucked from inside the engine bay through those holes.
Sudden temp increase which the IAT may not be reacting to fast enough.
I don't know if that is part of the problems or how much effect it could have but.......

·
24,497 Posts
Yes, for that reason there's nothing lost by buying an ebay one for £25 post free.
Or being as we were discussing this morning, that tomorrow OP will report back that he has put some duct tape over the holes and swapped the air filter... hopefully with a wow, it's fantastic but realistically could be little change.
But gotta try

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Or being as we were discussing this morning, that tomorrow OP will report back that he has put some duct tape over the holes and swapped the air filter... hopefully with a wow, it's fantastic but realistically could be little change.
But gotta try
I don't think so not covering anything and the air filter was changed recently.

·
Technical Supremo.
7,230 Posts
But gotta try
Yes, for that reason there's nothing lost by buying an ebay one for £25 post free.
(a resonator I mean, not a Clio. :LOL: )
You keep forgetting his location .................... very few people ships to South Africa from eBay and even fewer for free ................ and then even if it should miraculously arrive at customs, it will disappear as part of affirmative shopping - ask me how do I know 😕 :mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
By the way what is "OP will report back" supposed to mean?

Is this the part in question?

Gas Font Metal Art Artifact
Gas Font Metal Art Artifact

Gas Composite material Flooring Auto part Tints and shades

If it is, this is going to cover the two holes we were speaking about on the inlet hose? :rolleyes:

·
Technical Supremo.
7,230 Posts

For your reference Sir
8200323523 as part number gets you that thing with only a single nozzle to fill a single hole in that pipe of yours - it, therefore, looks like it's NOT the right thing - there are about 30 different Clio3 models as far as I can see in Dialogys- what is your exact model number - look on your VIN number - post the first 7 letters of the VIN - we can try and help by getting the model codes from that and see if somebody has the correct reference drawing to find the correct model-specific resonator

·
Technical Supremo.
7,230 Posts
By the way what is "OP will report back" supposed to mean?
OP is the original poster or thread starter.

As I asked you before, we like people that start threads to actually participate sensibly by actually trying the suggestions made and reporting back in the thread so that another person with the exact same problem can simply read and learn from your experiences.

@Dancingdad was simply wondering/hoping that you would go try what we suggested (blocking the holes till you get the right resonator box version) ................... in the hope that you will say that the blocking of those holes sorted the low power thing you experienced and that our guesses posted were correct...........

I don't think so not covering anything
If you do not intend doing anything why ask a question and for suggestions from people that do not have the exact model right in front of them?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts