Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to the website so I apologise in advance if this has been posted already.

Rec'd a letter from Renault regarding the wifes Clio II yesterday stating that Renault had investigated the situation with the bonet catches and had concluded, along with VOSA, that there wasnt a design fault.

The letter then went on to say that Renault are happy to have a look at the catch and I quote "Your Renault Dealer will be happy to check the opening and closing mechanisms of the bonnet to ensure correct maintenance is being undertaken. If poor maintenance is detected, the appropriate corrective action will be carried out at no cost."

It also includes a little separate note that is supposed to be inserted into the Maintenance Service Booklet, which basically says check and lubricate the catch periodically on Clio II's.

Has anyone else had this letter? I presume the 'corrective action' will be to slap some grease on the catch.

Cheers

Marty

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Marty.

Renault are issuing these to nearly 500,000 Clio II owners.

See the relevant threads re Clio bonnet catch failure.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
How they can lie like that I don't know, there must be a design fault.

I presume that I have not received a letter about my Laguna bonnet catch because there is not a design fault on it so why have only Clio owners received one?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I think they came up with the idea that if it was opened and closed as recommended in the handbook, the problem wouldnt occur.

"hold the bonnet in the middle and lower it to 20cm above the closed position. Now release it, it will lock under its own weight.

Check that the bonnet is correctly locked"

I beleive the problem occurs when the safety latch seizes in the open position, so all i do is let it down gently until the safety latch clicks, pull it up to make sure its engaged, then push it back down to lock.

Took mine to renault to check, as a driving instructor i need to have a certificate to produce to the DSA at test centres before an examiner will take a test in the car....... renault still say theres not a problem. work that out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts