Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a renault grand espace 1998 - 1999 2.2 td, can anyone help when i put my foot down between gears or go faster i can see smoke from my back window, i have just changed the oil and filters today, also put a none return valve on the fuel pipe, also put in hydrolic treatment in the oil as well, but it still smokes abit, also in the mornings the car takes ages to start, could the timming cause any of these problems or anything else. need help with many thanks alan:crazy:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Re: grand espace diesel smoking

That's a bad habit that Espace has....you should ask the doctor for patches:d sorry couldn't resist:eek:,

When were the heater plugs last changed ?? if it was me i would guess you have a bad heater plug?plugs if your getting poor starting from cold? but i could be wrong,

Iam sure another member will help soon,

Cheers Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That's a bad habit that Espace has....you should ask the doctor for patches:d sorry couldn't resist:eek:,

When were the heater plugs last changed ?? if it was me i would guess you have a bad heater plug?plugs if your getting poor starting but i could be wrong,

Iam sure another member will help soon,

Cheers Don
thanks donald only had the car aweek trying to get my head around this many thanks for your reply cheers

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts

thanks donald only had the car aweek trying to get my head around this many thanks for your reply cheers
Cars eh:rolleyes:

Like i said its only a guess but a bad or failing heater plug would cause you to have a poor starting from cold so like i said that might be a good starting point to have them checked or even replaced,

Like i said wait for other members to help as i might be wrong,

Cheers Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Cars eh:rolleyes:

Like i said its only a guess but a bad or failing heater plug would cause you to have a poor starting from cold so like i said that might be a good starting point to have them checked or even replaced,

Like i said wait for other members to help as i might be wrong,

Cheers Don
ok mate many thanks alan

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts

yes donald is correct you may well have a couple of duff heater plugs but they are a pain to do and be warned sometimes they break :(

This is NOT what is making it smoke though what colour do you think the smoke is black grey is fuel blueish is more worrying as is oil related and could mean something is worn turbo seals or whatever

Having said that some espaces do seem to smoke a little and still run fine mines included !!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

yes donald is correct you may well have a couple of duff heater plugs but they are a pain to do and be warned sometimes they break :(

This is NOT what is making it smoke though what colour do you think the smoke is black grey is fuel blueish is more worrying as is oil related and could mean something is worn turbo seals or whatever

Having said that some espaces do seem to smoke a little and still run fine mines included !!
hi thanks for the reply, i think its black smoke couldn`t tell because the light was fading, but if i park up and just rev the car i get nothing no smoke,, cheers alan

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts

If its only smoking under load then i would not worry too much they all do lol

might be the egr valve not closing fully recirculating some exhaust gases when it should not

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If its only smoking under load then i would not worry too much they all do lol

might be the egr valve not closing fully recirculating some exhaust gases when it should not
thanks mate, might take the egr off and give it a clean in petrol or carb cleaner see if it helps.. its ok wife thinks iv`e been done with the car when i got it cheers alan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
renault grand espace 2.2td injectors

hi. i have a renault grand espace 2.2td v reg 1999. can anyone advise me please, what other fuel injectors would fit my car, i mean from another type of vehicle, as renault are to exspensive to buy, can anyone let me know please thanks alan

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Re: renault grand espace 2.2td injectors

Hi i doubt that is your problem but you can get your own reconditioned i can do you a set of secondhand ones from a known good engine but as i say it probably won't help the smoke
Having the injectors out will make it easier to check/replace the heaterplugs though !!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hi i doubt that is your problem but you can get your own reconditioned i can do you a set of secondhand ones from a known good engine but as i say it probably won't help the smoke
Having the injectors out will make it easier to check/replace the heaterplugs though !!
Hi thanks for your email. In the mornings when I start the car it sounds like a bag of spanners. The garage I went to said it was the injectors leaking overnight into the engine that's wot is causing the noise when I start it. Also where the fuel filter is there is air in the system. Also what price was your injectors many thanks alan

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts

Hi injectors leaking could make it noisy but to be honest so could the air in the system as the fuel pressure will be too low initially
Try this before you start it tomorrow pump the hand primer next to the filter till it seems to be hard or no more bubbles are seen in the pipes then start car as normal if it starts better then the air is the problem

If not then injectors could possibly be the cause i can do a set for £50 known good ones from my own engine i replaced it due to head gasket needing done

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hi injectors leaking could make it noisy but to be honest so could the air in the system as the fuel pressure will be too low initially
Try this before you start it tomorrow pump the hand primer next to the filter till it seems to be hard or no more bubbles are seen in the pipes then start car as normal if it starts better then the air is the problem

If not then injectors could possibly be the cause i can do a set for £50 known good ones from my own engine i replaced it due to head gasket needing done
hi ok thanks will give it ago in the morning or later tonight cheers

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts

leave it till morning as if it has been running today it will start better anyway good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

leave it till morning as if it has been running today it will start better anyway good luck
thanks went outside to car it was quiet out there pumped the primer, i could here abit of a sis sound very light so it looks as if something is leaking on the fuel side must be an injector or the steel pipe going to one of the injectors will investigate and let you know what it is will be saturday when i get chance to look cheers alan

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts

you will hear fuel flowing anyway as it returns excess back to the tank even if turned off you are not looking for a leak you are looking for air getting in to the pipework

Try it in the morning as this is when the air would make the difference between a good start and a bad one

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

you will hear fuel flowing anyway as it returns excess back to the tank even if turned off you are not looking for a leak you are looking for air getting in to the pipework

Try it in the morning as this is when the air would make the difference between a good start and a bad one
ok mate will do thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Renault Espace - Poor MPG/Engine Knocking

hi can anyone advise please, i have a renault grand espace 2.2td v reg 1999, this car at the moment is drinking diesel, it only gets about 34 miles to £10 of fuel. which i think i should get more correct me if im wrong, many thanks alan.... could anybody tell me what the problem could be make my day please, keep the wife ftom moaning

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
renault espace 2.2td engine knocking???

hi this is a strange one for you, my renault grand espace 2.2td v reg 1999, when i leave it over night or a long time in the day, when i start it the engine is very load like a knocking or tappets trying to get out of my engine, but when the engine temp gauge gets up to normal temp the engine is quiet and sounds brill, any suggestions please, cheers alan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts