Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first French car and local car mechanic cannot fix the problem. I already blow a lot of money.

Problem: Sometimes when the car is in second gear, I press the gas pedal but nothing going on. Engine not response. Or takes a long time. Mostly at a lower speed and when going uphills.

Thank you, expert,

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
No promises to help but we need more info ................

Engine? .........diesel or petrol? ...........specific engine code if you can.
Gearbox ? ..... auto or manual?

Problem only occurs in 2nd gear? ...............you 100% sure about that? ..............highly unlikely

Is it a question of you get the idea that the engine doesn't respond to throttle pedal input at all?.......................or can you hear the engine try to do something (hear engine sound change) but there simply is no power and acceleration?

What exactly have you spent a lot of money on then? - list it all

The garage that worked on it - did they produce a scan report from a CLIP for you to motivate the repairs/expenses? .............. do you have it and what was the codes reported/found?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, diesel 2.2 DCI manual. Takes a lot of time until the engine gets the idea that i need fast startup. Mostly in second gear at low speed uphill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought it. Engine power was low with many critical points. Now power seems ok, but again the same problem with fast speed up in second gear. Air sensor is changed. Turbine clean (not sure is it a good job)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a question of you get the idea that the engine doesn't respond to throttle pedal input at all?.................. I will say yes but not every time.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
If only a intermittent fault, once engine switched off fault will reset and NOT show on a scanner - when fault occurs do NOT switch engine off, pull over (or drive to garage) and get scan done to show fault.

normally, lost of power could be MANY things

often over looked is the fuel filter these are known to block up and allow engine to run but unresponsive.

these cars are fly by wire, so check electrical plug has not been knocked loose by feet (look up under dash near throttle pedal)

more likely the low power is limp home mode - this can be trigged by just about anything sensor wise giving a out of limits reading (doesnt always mean its faulty) in you switch off it will clear and reset unless stored more than 3 times in X amount of startup cycles (30 or 40 IIRC)

another common fault is crank sensor dirty (hardly ever shows as faulty) and normally only requires a quick removal of sensor and a clean up using brake cleaner to remove metal dust.

these above fixes done yourself will cost under £20

But you really need to get a scan done BEFORE you replace any items. you could DIY scan with a £5 ebay bluetooth elm327 dongle and the torque lite app (free) for mobile phones (paid version worth it)

I myself use the carsoft i907 @ £99 approx.

or pay a indy garage between £25-£45 or upto £100+ for a scan by Renault.

Your choice depending on DIY skill level.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Seriously now ................... IMO 2nd gear has no bearing on the problem description at all if you have a manual box.

1000rpm is barely above idle and I wouldn't expect ANY small displacement engine and manual gearbox combination on a relatively modern vehicle to have amazing performance at that engine speed.

I am sure that if you have the problem in 2nd gear you also have the exact same problem in all the gears - ie - you are either expecting too much from a newly acquired vehicle or you are being subjective and comparing apples to oranges.

So - did you have a CLIP analysis of the vehicle performed and what was the results - in detail please?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Under 1000, second gear, can't accelerate. Above 1000 is ok. Do you think accelerator pedal sensor is the problem?

NO I think you need to do a scan and or check as suggested 1st.....

But here are some FREE checks you can look at and decide if they need a clean / repair and or a scan to check function... the 2.2 dci has a throttle body with a vacum pipe actuator, check vacum pipe for leaks and / or rod for movement (free) also sure some have built in EGR close by IIRC - check for blockage as known to lose power if stuck open slightly - remove / clean (free)

This is why you need to scan 1st rather than Guess the fault,

pretty much a £5 can of brake cleaner will clean crank sensor, throttle body, and EGR valve - but unless you can get fault to show every time you may have problems pin pointing a cause - So scanning may (or may not!!) help give you somewhere to start.

Also a 2 tonne Espace wont pull away like a 3/4 tonne Clio..........

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
NO I think you need to do a scan and or check as suggested 1st.....

But here are some FREE checks you can look at and decide if they need a clean / repair and or a scan to check function... the 2.2 dci has a throttle body with a vacum pipe actuator, check vacum pipe for leaks and / or rod for movement (free) also sure some have built in EGR close by IIRC - check for blockage as known to lose power if stuck open slightly - remove / clean (free)

This is why you need to scan 1st rather than Guess the fault,

pretty much a £5 can of brake cleaner will clean crank sensor, throttle body, and EGR valve - but unless you can get fault to show every time you may have problems pin pointing a cause - So scanning may (or may not!!) help give you somewhere to start.
Also a 2 tonne Espace wont pull away like a 3/4 tonne Clio........
.................... thats why I asked what EXACTLY was done to be able to say a lot of money was already spent and how was the decision to do THAT arrived at:frown2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'' pretty much a £5 can of brake cleaner will clean crank sensor, throttle body , and EGR valve - but unless you can get fault to show every time you may have problems pin pointing a cause - So scanning may ''

i got the list of what is changed, but really nothing helpful. the mechanic guy says turbine and injectors. and i pay for turbine repair. i think locals do not know how to fix this car. and i did mistake with buying 300 000km car without service book and diagnostic check.

if i buy odb2 wireless and with torque pro i can diagnose the problem? I am not an expert. have no idea what instruments to watch. is there any auto report.

i will visit original Renault. i live in a small town, so i can do it right away.

thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts