Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - wonder if anyone can give any adv. please. I have had my espace into 3 different garages regarding brakes, either they did not know what was wrong, or just did not want to get involved....so as much use as a chocolate fireguard!:) ....anyway - brakes starting to fail ...therefore had master cylinder replaced, rear slave cylinders replaced new brake shoes.....system bled 5 times...brakes do not function properly ie...if you need to brake suddenly car does not brake without travelling quite a distance first...have to keep depressing/pumping brakes. Brakes do not feel 'spongey'.....I think there is still a little air in the rear nearside pipe but not really sure....I don't think there are any leaks because break fluid level in resevoir is not going down.....my lovely car is perfect in every other way, so any help would be appreciated...thanks..Linda

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sounds like there may be a problem with the brake servo? I've never had this problem before but I'm sure there will be someone who has on here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick reply, will look into brake servo, any idea if it's a big (expensive) job?

·
Registered
92 Posts
What Espace do you drive, is it the 1990 2.0? If it is then assuming it is the servo, the price for a new one from Euro Car Parts UK - European Car Parts is £124.14. I have no idea the cost of fitting unfortunately, but before you go to a garage asking for prices, make sure it definately it is the servo because it might be something really simple that the garages missed. I may be completley wrong so try and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Marty, yes it's the 1990 2.0...I will wait to see if any further replies before looking into servo further....although, having said that, it's worth it!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi tired - What sorta conditon are the front brakes in - could be seized or sticky calipers. I would check them out before going for a new servo - not that fixing them may be a cheaper option but it would cost very little to check out.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
roller test ?

just to add idea's to this one what about a m o t tester ask about putting it on there rollers tel them you dont want an m o t just asking for diagnostics the test will find if one wheel is down two or just the front ones dont know just bouncing thing off you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for reply, - calipers have been cleaned and had all external dirt removed. One garage did diagnostics test...after checking, decided it must be the master cylinder...which was then replaced, and all the system bled....looking like could be servo??!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
It definately sounds like the servo to me. The fact that you've bled the brakes 5 times would indicate that air is getting into the system somewhere, maybe a leak? Get someone to pump the brakes and have a listen for hissing under the bonnet around the servo and vacuum pipes.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Oops Marty - all servos in good condition make a hissing sound so its easy to get mislead by listening for hisses, etc. After runng the engine for a minute or so the servo reservoir should be fully charged - To check switch engine off depress the brake pedal and listen carefully you should then hear air entering the reservoir. This should happen on at least 3-4 pumps of the pedal. If not I would suspect the reservoir is not being charged or the reservoir diaphram is leaking. There could be a leak in some of the vacuum hoses going to the servo or the servo itself is duff.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all your help...will get someone to pump brakes....see what happens....will keep you updated, may help someone else if they have same problem..all the best ..Linda :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts