Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a knock on both sides of my Espace which gets worse in wet weather,the knock is at the top both sides.
I've had a look up in the arch and the spring is jumping round rather than moving freely.

Am I right in thinking this is down to the top suspension mounts?? Also would this cause the steering to pull intermittantly?
Sometimes it pulls left and others it is true(noticeable when looking at the steering wheel)and I dont want it to eat the 4 tyres I put on it last month

I ask because after having a read through the forums and elsewhere on the net,people are talking about a bearing(or is this incorperated into the top mount)

I have priced them up on Euro Car Parts and I have to service it this week anyway and have a spare few quid (for a change) but I cant afford to replace Strus/tops/springs in one hit.

Any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i priced these bearings and bearing cups that the bearing sits in just the other day and i was given a price of £35 for the pair of bearings for the top strut mount and another £20 for the cups that the bearing sits in at my local motor factors i hope this helps my espace is a 2.0 16v 2002 and i would not think that there will be any difference if any all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right got my tops and bearings.I am a bit confused as to where the bearings go though,it doesnt look like they go in or around the strut top but it does look like they go at the bottom of the spring where the spring holder meets the strut

Can anyone confirm this is right?:confused:

Aded some pics to try and explain better

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi yes i think your right can i please ask how your drop down ink stabaizers are like some times i beleive they wear first causing the bearing in the strut to take a battering they only cost £7 each to replace from any good motor factors i hope this helps Donald.

great pics iam sure this will also help other members

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Donald I will check the drop links when I do the bearings but will probaly leave them till next week as its only a wheel off job(and I'm spent up this week) I've got to do the d/s outer cv gaiter when I do the tops aswell

Anyone know for definate if I am right about bearing?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thanks Donald I will check the drop links when I do the bearings but will probaly leave them till next week as its only a wheel off job(and I'm spent up this week) I've got to do the d/s outer cv gaiter when I do the tops aswell

Anyone know for definate if I am right about bearing?
Hi not a problem thats what we are all here for,good luck with the rest i know how you feel ive spent alot myself the last month or two and the car is only 5 years old this September and it has full service i believe all parts at the front of a espace take a battering its there weak spot:crazy:

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres some pics of the bearings that came out of my struts.I would say theyve been in there since the car was new cause I cannot find anything in the history.Looks like the droplinks were replaced to try and cure the knocking but obviously it was not.

To do both sides it has taken me around 6 hours but I had to do the D/S CV Gaiter aswell,and this took ages cause I struggled to split the CV Joint from the Driveshaft(wish I had a cone).Passenger side I disconnected the strut from the hub rather than remove the lot like I did on the drivers side,this was much easier
The bearings go between the strut and the spring cup which detaches from the strut.I have never seen this style before and I think its a poor deign cause all the crap off the road gets lodged in and ruins the bearing as you can see.
I didnt use any fancy spring compressors just one pair of short ones which I did 2 loops on each side with.
The difference it has made is incredible no more cluncking lock to lock and no more fighting the steering to keep the car off the kerb:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Seems to be a weak spot in most Renaults, I had them changed on my 05 Scenic II at less than 25,000 under warranty of course, It makes a huge difference to the steering .

A job well done I'm sure you will feel the better for resolving your problems,

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish the dealer who looked after this before I got it had done them every 25,000 I've got 156,000 on my clock and as I said I think these bearings have been in there all that time:crazy: I am going to replace the struts and springs all round at some point in the near future,and at £10.00 a bearing I will replace them again.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
!56,000 is Ok but I suspect they have been gone for quite a while £10.00 is ok tho but quite a bit of work to replace them .

Once again well done .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,i need to sort this on both sides of my espace.Could anyone tell me if this involves a lot of work.Have changed struts etc before but never on an espace.Could you list a procedure please ?? :d Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts