Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi when I brought the espace 2.2 auto the fans never worked unless you put the air con on.
I have just fitted a new fan cooling switch and left the car running and it got all the way to the red and still no fans.
Any ideas anyone?????

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What happens when you short the connections on the plug that fits the switch?.

Do both fans work when the aircon is on or only one?.

The fans only run at a slow speed when the aircon is on,and then kick in at a higher speed to cool the engine.Check the fuses and relays as the two speeds are controlled seperately.

If possible,check to see if you have a 12 volt feed to either fan when the switch plug connections are shorted.If you have,then the fan is faulty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
both fans work when the aircon is on and if i run a live feed to the switch both speeds work

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You have to think that the fans are OK,and wiring is ok between the fans and switch,so it's a case of working from switch backwards.

Start by checking the fuses (their probably high rated ones and in the engine compartment somewhere).If they look OK,then a test light would come in handy to check the feeds and the relays.

Are you any where near Dorset?.I'll give you a hand if you are.:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi t2mart, what year and model/phase of Espace do you have?
If I remember correctly with the Espace II (an assumption here on the model) the "engine" cooling fan is only one of the 2 units fitted, the other is for the A/C (memory is getting a bit flakey though) ... have you buzzed out the cables between the radiator switch and the fan connectors to establish which one of the fans is the "engine" one and which is the A/C one, sounds like a faulty sender or damaged cable or maybe a bodged repair, the cables are prone to chafe (is that how you spell it?) where the harness passes through the radiator shroud.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi its a 95 phase III and both fans work with direct power feed to it from the plug which the sender unit connects to.
Have put new sender in but still nothing.
Tackling the fuses and relay later tonight after kids are in bed.
And both fans have 2 speeds is this correct.

·
2,311 Posts
As I said my memory of the Espace II is is bit flakey ... I'm sure the fans are switched by a combination of the the engine temp sender which is on the RHS of the block at the cam belt cover, and depending on the temp recd from the radiator sender the injection computer decides to switch the fan(s) on and at what speed ... it also works the red overheat warning light on the dash... is the engine temp guage working correctly?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok fuses are fine.
If i run a live feed to it whilst driving temp sits an 1/2 way as fans are on slow speed all the time.
No fans it goes up to the red then i switch off as i dont want to do anydamage but no warning light yet.

·
2,311 Posts
Hi, is the car actually overheating or is it just the guage ... as the warning light should come on ?

For the cost of the engine temp sender, I'd have a go at changing that and the thermostat and see how you get on ..... unless someone else comes along with somemore suggestions ....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can i just remove the thermostat for now and to cap it all the rad has just blown as well so tomorrow i am installing new rad and temp switch.

·
2,311 Posts
Yes you can, but the car wont come up to temp (or may take a very long time) ... which may cause other issues with the injection system running rich .... the thermostat is only a couple of quid to buy (dont forget to replace the sealing ring as well) so I'd change it as well unless your leaving it out to test for something else.

Depending on the mileage, I'd also consider changing the water pump as well since the radiator is out ..... becareful if you have A/C as the screws/bolts that hold the condenser to the front of the radiator are a pain in the ass to get to (esp the ones from below the bumper) .... make sure you have seperated the two units before trying to remove the rad, as the A/C parts are very expensive and if you disconnect it you will need to pressure check and re-gas the system .... expense you dont really need ... just take your time and take care.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankyou all so much.
New rad in which was a problemas my 2.2 auto with aircon has a 2.0 manual non aircon rad in it and new temp switch which links to the ecu so i was told and it is all working with fans.
might still buy a temp gauge sensor as its the only on not replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
renault espace MK II cooling fans

Hi ihave the same problem with my esapce its had a new rad and a new switch, still the fans won't work have tested the fans by shorting out the fan switch and they work fine don't know what else i can do :confused: if any one knows or has hade the same prob and fixed it let me know. Also i know that that switch controls some relays but don't know where they are on the car if any one dose please let me know? thank you
joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just finding my feet in this forum. I have an 04 espace 3.5V6 at 100k miles. It overheats in traffic but not on the motorway. I notice steam escaping from the bottom of the header, is this normal? The fan works, are they speed regulated, and how would I tell if this wasn't working. Any other ideas? Yours Max

·
Registered
12 Posts
espace cooling

If its a MK3 (up to 2002) they have truly massive cooling systems, especially with air con. Mine is a 2002 2.2 diesel. It always used to run only 3 bars on the temp guage but now is climbing up to 4. I suspected something was wrong so let it idle on the path for 40 mins. Never showed any hotter on the gusge and fan only cut in if I turned on the air con (apparently the fans work all the time the air con is on). Took it to the dealer. They checked it - it was running at about 88 degrees c with 4 bars lit and they said it may actually cool down when left idling - so big is the cooling system and rads. They falsely input higher temps using their laptop and the fan cut in at 97 deg c. This would equate to about two thirds to three quarters of the bars lit up on the temp guage. mechanic told me they rarely cut in except under very hard motorway driving or pulling heavy load like a caravan. They do have two temp sensors though, so either one could be shot. Rather than over heat the thing, get a dealer to test it out before you do any damage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Renault Espace Cooling fans

I have a mk3 1997 2.2 rxe diesel turbo espace. Also have a problem with the twin cooling fans not cutting in. It overheated slightly last summer when stuck in traffic, so thought i had better fix it before it the hotter weather sets in.

Tried it again the other day, left it running and the temperature just crept up with no fans cutting in.

Both fans work ok when the aircon is switched on.

I had the grill off but cannot see the temperature sender in the radiator anywhere?

Also does anyone know where the fuse for this is? and also where is the relay?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have answered my own question now about the thermo switch. Having taken it to 2 x garages (one a so called renault garage), they couldn't find it either. Decided to look myself and eureka!

Remove the air filter box completely, and look down the back of the radiator on the right hand lower side and there it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Having the same problem with my 2004 Espave IV 3.0Dci, when the temp gauge reaches 5 bars, the A/C automatically goes ON kicking its fan to cool the engine. I've tried to switched OFF the A/C to reduce fuel consumption, but its always goes ON again. So, in order to avoid severe damege to the engine I decided to let it A/C works as it allow to cool down the engine temp. Going through this threads, it seems NO one comes out with a solution to this problem. Guys, c'mon help out! PLS>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi when I brought the espace 2.2 auto the fans never worked unless you put the air con on.
I have just fitted a new fan cooling switch and left the car running and it got all the way to the red and still no fans.
Any ideas anyone?????
hi mark
i had the same problem it turned out to be a blocked return hose from the top hose to the header tank, bloody thing over heated like mad till i cleaned out that pipe. fans cicked in every time after that.
hope this helps :cool:

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
There is 2 temp sensors affecting cooling. One is in radiator and other is in the other end of engine block than timing belt.

These sensors should be replaced after 10 years of use. They may last 15 years, but I would not tkae risk of engine overheating and blowing head gasket.

There is good availability of sensors. Sensor in engine is also easy to replace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts