Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the best fitment is for a Grand Espace 03 onwards is. Would prefer a cycle rack that hangs from the rear door with a platform for the cycles to stand on, or one that hangs from the roof rail channels.Renault dealers are quoting over £300 for a renault fitment, so that is not on the cards. Any suggetions please.

G

·
IIRC correctly the door-fitted carries were recalled due to potential safety issues and replaced with a towbar mounted system

·
Let's be carefull out there
11,011 Posts
selwonk said:
IIRC correctly the door-fitted carries were recalled due to potential safety issues and replaced with a towbar mounted system
I believe the problem with tailgate carriers and the Espace stems from the bonded tailgate. There have been examples where the mounting straps have pulled the outer skin from the tailgate leaving not only the bikes on the road but a hefty repair bill for the car (and any following too close). As selwonk says the best option is a towbar mounted rack. There are several that mount between the 2 halves of a 2 piece tow hitch. When not in use the carrier is simply lifted out of it bracket which stays bolted in place.

I would tend to avoid roof mounted racks. There is a lot of drag from a couple of bikes this will affect the fuel consumption, also it's easy to forget them whan you encounter height restrictors and finally I also know of people who have had them rip out of the roof, again not cheap.

G

·
The rear mounted carrier (actually attaches to the roof rails but sits over the back door of the car) was recalled but is now available again.

As Blu says, it's £300 which is a bit steep really.

The Tow Bar version is the best option - if you have the bar fitted - otherwise the overall job will cost as much as the rear carrier!

I;ve been looking out for one aon flea bay for ages but they go for potty money if any come up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts