Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my o/s/f side light was not working (espace iv). Anyway thought I would get a new bulb once I had worked out how to access it.

Just before I did I gave the headlight unit a light tap and it suddenly came on - has been working since.

Do you think it is the bulb on the way out or a loose connection at the bulb or something else. I was going to take the cover off behind the bulb and check the connection.

But maybe I should leave it alone and see if the light eventually stops working again. Then check the connection.

Funnily enough I did have a bulb in the kitchen that intermittadently went off - check all electrics - it ended up being the bulb itself!

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated?

·
Administrator
21,608 Posts
Does your Espace have Xenons Nige ?

Could be the connections to the bulb or the ballast unit (if it has Xenons) unit I suppose ? Saying that lets hope its the bulb. :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
In my experience electrical faults that seem to correct themsleves usually come back to haunt you. It could be a bulb on its way out or a poor contact but you'll only find out by have a close looksee.:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has Xenons - but they appear to be fine - it is the sidelight only. But I guess it all comes in on one connecting block.

Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the filament was broken and caught and welded itself back together, often happens, it will fail again though, so probably best to replace, replace both though or one will be brighter than the other, not a big problem aside from the aesthetics :)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear All

Yes you are right Madnoel it did it again - tap and back on the lense again. Anyway out with bulb, job and a half due to access. As you say Celtic looked like the filement was rewelding itself. Dave- got two bulbs from Tesco Garage for 35p. Thought I might need 2 as I may drop it at the first atempt - sure enough I did.

Off side removed the washer bottle neck - unscrew baoynet type cover - pulled out bulb and holder - hardest bit was pushing in new bulb as you need resistance against the holder. Anyway finally completed job together with scraped knuckes and wrist.

Celtic - read your reply after I had completed the job - you are right I think the replacement is slightly brighter. Access to nearside looks a lot better so i may get round to doing this as well.

Cheers

Nigel

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've recently replaced my sidelight bulbs with LED ones as the original ones looked really yellow compared to my aftermarket HID's. as the connection was quite tight I couldn't get the new bulbs in. I ended up filing a slight taper on the edges of the new bulbs but even then it was nearly impossible to get the darn things in. I managed to get one in only to find that it'd gone in the wrong way as LEDs will only work when put in one particular way. I decided to make a tool to help matters. I stretched out a metal coathanger so that it was pretty much straight and at the end made a right-angled bend in the last couple of inches. I flared the wires slightly so it now slides over the bulbs socket and then tightens slightly behind it so that you can hold the socket with one hand from about 20inches away and use your other hand purely just to push the bulb in. Job done :). If I can suss out how to add a pic ill have a go tomorrow (not very good with computers and am only using an old iPhone 3GS for Internet stuff).
Hope this Handy tip helps..especially if you've got big hands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts