Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took these photos wedensday when the mechanic called an said I need to look at the camshaft before he continued any work on the engine, for those who can't see look at the lobes
or lack of.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes nice especially when the last owner convinced me that the espace had 155.000 kilometros,

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Zep, wear in the lobe's like that is usually an oil distribution problem, either blocked oilways, or poor oil pressure or serious contamination in the oil.
It takes quite a lot to break through the case hardening that the cam has, but once it done that sort of damage can happen in a thousand miles or less.

I reckon there is a bigger problem here that needs looked at and not just the cam and follower's changed.

I'd look at the oil pump and strainer as well, as all the iron filings from the cam have to go somewhere, otherise the problem will be back in 10k miles again.

Members who used to own Ford Cortina's with the OHC "pinto" engine will testify .... in that case if was an oil spraybar, that used to block combined with a poor oil pump ...... oh, and a heart sinking "clicktey ticking" noise as your cam wore away.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I would agree Truckbus and yeh I do remember the old days of Fords and Vauxhalls doing in their camshafts. Although it's hard to tell from the pictures there appears to be very little sign of blueing of the metal which would be the result of poor oil supply (overheating, etc). The cam apppear to badly worn and abraded by oil contamination. Looks like it just ain't had enough oil and filter changes in its life or the wrong type of oil has been used (maybe a heavy mineral type). Yeh fixing it without solving the problem and getting rid of all the metal swarf would only be a short-term fix. If it has been running in this state for some time the swarf may have caused damage to other components particularly the oil pump, big ends, etc. In all honesty if it were mine I would be considering a decent second hand engine.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Truckbusuk, I remember well the Cortina OHC engine an the constant trips to the breakers to find rockers.

I've sourced a complete Laguna 2.2dt G8T-760 engine with 43.000mls it's from a very good reconditioners that I've used for 15 years, As far as I can see the only difference between the Laguna engine an the Espace engine G8T-716 are the exhaust manifold an the water/turbo hoses
( hope I'm right)
The Espace engine I'm going to strip down an see exactly what damage it has to the bottom end, Then in time it will be reconditioned an sold on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts