Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
My first post as I cannot find the answer to my question in the forum.
Does anyone know if the lights on the Espace 2005 are adjustable for use in Europe or do I need to get new lights.
I have been over in France quite a lot and I have not done anything with the lights and have not had many flashes in complaint.
Any help would be gratefully received
Steve
89SBR
2005 3.0 Initial Diesel Auto

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does your espace have xenon headlights? if so you will not find a level adjuster as they are automatic therefore you will probablly need stickers over the headlights.
Cal you local dealer they will eb able to advise you.

Tom

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Very few cars have adjusters for continent use.

If your headlights are not glass you will need special beam deflectors that are available from Renaults.

It is possible to adjust your head lights even if they are xenon but they will still dazzle when on the continent because of the high beam shining to the left.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Beam deflectors are indeed required. We recently used Eurolites beam deflectors Travel Spot - Motoring Into Europe available from Halfords & ebay. Lots of nigh driving & wasn't flashed once so I guess they worked okay.

For Espace IV with HIDs use the projector syle as shown for the earlier Espace models. The instructions we had didn't show Espace IV with HIDs but a quick call to Eurolites clarified this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
RE: Renault Espace Xenon Headlight beam adjustment (2002-on

Guys,

There is indeed a lever inside the headlight to adjust for continental driving (driving on the right).

Remove the rubber cover from the back of the Xenon headlight (covering the Xenon bulb, not the main beam).

(Facing forwards towards the back of the vehicle), the lever is to the left of the Xenon bulb/connector. Slide up/down to adjust the beam refraction. (other direction to where it was sitting - don't forget to adjust when you return!).

Note: The lever is on the left for both headlights. Removing the bulbs will gain you extra clearance, especially drivers side headlight.

Any Q's, please don't hesitate.

Advanced PCs

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Excellent! You should tell Renault UK about this.

When I spoke to them they said there wasn't anything other than deflectors available from as a Renault part.

I even pulled their leg that my 14yr old Calibra had a lever as you describe !

I shall check out tomorrow!

Many many thanks!

Just like to add, don't try with headlights on due to high voltages (many kVs) of HID lights. Also, I've found that the conector contacts aren't great. You may find the auto-level adjustment stops working & might need to wiggle the connector a bit. Thats been my experience sadly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No problem, although it shouldn't be our place to advise Renault UK of their own vehicles! ;o)

I have a [Official Renualt UK] .PDF manual regarding the Xenon's if it would help anybody out... Just PM me with email address..

Advancedpcs

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
RE: Renault Espace Xenon Headlight beam adjustment (2002-on

(Facing forwards towards the back of the vehicle), the lever is to the left of the Xenon bulb/connector. Slide up/down to adjust the beam refraction. (other direction to where it was sitting - don't forget to adjust when you return!).

Advanced PCs
Well I've taken the rear cover off the headlight unit but cannot see the lever you mention.

The picture (below) is of the rear of the passenger headlight taken whilst standing over the front grille looking back at the rear of the headlight. The picture is rotated such that the side closest to the centre of the car is at the top of the photo. This I am taking to be the left side as you describe it. Does it look familiar? Should you see a lever here or am I looking in the wrong place. I didn't take the bulb out. The drivers side looks pretty tricky to get to as I guess it would be on the side furthest from the centre of the car.

TIA

JJ

ps the car is a 2004 Espace Priv.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi John,

The levers are in there but you'll have to get your finger right in.. you'll feel it. :)

I've attached a close-up photo of it for you (it looks nearer but IS a finger depth).

Let me know if any probs.

P.S. I've just tried doing the driver's side and you can just get your finger in to move the lever (really easy). Removing the bulb is easier; just twist and pull the bulb holder (cable disconnects automatically).

Matt, Advancedpcs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I'll take another look. However, your & my photos look different.

The housing onto which the rubber boot appears to be metal in your picture instead of plastic as mine is. There looks to be other construction differences also. Alas, I suspect they may be different units.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Renault only produced one type of Xenon Headlight for the Espace 2003 onwards (Irrespective of model), having only recently changed it for the 2007 model.

My camera was placed right next to the bulb holder looking into the light unit. Your photo is exactly how I see the headlight from the same view.

The lever is there...

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI

Extracted page from Renault Espace IV Manual below re Xenon Lamp adjustment..

(The picture is showing the lever on the 'wrong' side as I've mentioned before - it should be on the other side to what the picture shows)

[Attachment removed due to copyright infringement]

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
The adjustment is easy, but it helps to move the battery as the clearance is very tight on the N/S.

also

Be careful about publishing Renault copyright material on the forums, its against the forum rules.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Many thanks for sticking with me. I finally managed to find it by feel & later with the assistance of a mirror.

The drivers side will be a real chanllenge as it is right up against another component. Getting that back was fun. I can immagine great knuckle scraping potential on the drivers side.

Must admit to not being wild about stiking my fingers next to such a high voltage component.

I always think about the demo someone once gave me of the HT in a colour monitor discharging. Granted these things don't have the charge storage capacity of a CRT.

I susequently found the details in my 2003 pdf copies if you know what I mean ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my first Renault this year and went along to the dealership to buy some headlamp protectors and black sticky labels so that I could take the car abroad. I was surprised that they were not available since Volkswagen and Peugeot (my previous cars) sell them. I eventually found somewhere that supplied headlamp protectors and I intended to buy some stickers to go on these. I go abroad a few times a year and this would save money. But when I tried to order them I was told that a new model Espace was introduced this year so they didn't know if the protectors they supplied would fit my car!!! I assured them that there was no new Espace but they don't believe me. The Company in question is at Climair UK Limited.

By the way, my Renault dealer told me that there is no Renault beam deflector since anything stuck to the headlamp would permanently damage it. My opinion of Renault Customer Services and Renault Dealership Parts Departments and is not very high. I have had various dealings with both and it seem that they haven't a clue!

Sorry to have gone on a bit. My first post.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but at £35 a pair and lens reflectors at £6 I don't think it would pay for itself in my case as I don't go abroad that often.

Besides I am tempted by the levers I've recently found (thanks to advancedpcs) although actually getting to them is another issue. The passenger side is fine but the drivers side is another matter. I think the suggestion from advancedpcs to remove the bulb is the only option.

I never had a problem with autolites - the stuck nicely & came off relatively easily. Just needed to clean the glue off.

Know what you mean about Renault Customer service although I have to say they did a sterling job when our Grand Espace needed to go in for warrenty repairs & the only loan car the dealership would offer for my wife & 2 young children, neither of which could secure themselves in a seat, was a 2 door Modus. They fixed us up with a 4 door rental - Laguna I think.

Well done Renault! We very much appreciated it. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
@ John J @

The drivers side is a bit of a pain but as the washer bottle filler is [almost] in the way, amongst other things.. I can get the rubber bulb protector off (leaving it just below the headlight) and my finger in between the bulb holder and headlight enough to 'flip' the lever for the Xenon adjustment. Try it a few times and you'll have it down to a fine art! Knuckle scraping can be avoided! :)

Recently we came back from France and I changed the headlights back to UK driving whilst on the Ferry Car Deck (took 2 mins!)..

You can drive in the UK with the Xenon Beam adjusted for continent driving; all it does is 'remove' the left-hand beam flip (causes the Xenon beam to be a straight line).

Hope all goes well and you figure it all out :)

Advancedpcs

1 - 20 of 83 Posts