Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI, Great breakdown but I think for other readers I must say that the resistor is accesible when the left hand fan cowling is unscrewed, as this is not mentioned, have just replaced mine and anyuone with a bit of competence and mechanical knowledge should complete it, it took me 2hrs start to finish.:d

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi having followed all the above i found the heater control box faulty,Renault main dealer quoted £200 to replace but i found someone on ebay repairs these for £34,sent for repair and re-fitted but it only worked for ten minutes,i decided to open it up and found the repair was to replace the two power mosfet 75n75,after looking this up i found these to be 75amp 75volt (for sale on ebay for pence). The unit worked fine on one fan but blew when the second fan was connected.Does anyone know what amperage these should be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
:) THE CAR:- 1999 ESPACE 2.0 16V ALIZE (PETROL).

:( THE PROBLEM:- HEATER FAN NOT WORKING

ALL THE BUTTONS ON THE DASH CONTROLLER WORK(A SOUND OF A MOTOR FOR EACH BUTTON PRESSED) AIR CON BUTTON WORKS (INCREASE IN ENGINE SPEED WHEN PRESSED). ALL THE LIGHTS ON THE CONTROLLER WORK.

THE FIX:- INTERIOR FUSE BOX = ALL O.K ( with all lights working on the control panel this was wishful thinking )

so i move on to the ENGINE BAY FUSE BOX LOOKING FOR THE RELAY.

FUSEBOX.jpg (143.1 KB)

got my son to turn the ignition to aux and i hear a click from the relay its working fine ( easy fixes running out )

NEXT STEP TO GET AT THE FAN ITSELF

I HAVE TO REMOVE THE TOP PART OF THE DASH ( SOUNDS HARD BUT WAS QUIET EASY - SIX SCREWS AND THREE CLIPS IT OFF ) SEE PICS
1. ON BOTH SIDES REMOVE THE SPEAKER COVER THEN THE 3 SCREWS HOLDING THE SPEAKER IN PLACE

1a. unclip the dash (3 push to fix clips above the display)

2. REMOVE THE 5 SCREWS HOLDING THE DIGITAL DISPLAY IN POSITION ( 3 FACING TOWARDS THE SEATS AND 2 FACING DOWNWARDS(PROBABLY UNDER THE LARGE PIECES OF RUBBER ON TOP OF THE DISPLAY MINE WAS)

3. REMOVE THE 2 LARGE PLASTIC SCREWS HODING THE SOUND PROOFING IN PLACE AND REMOVE IT.

4. REMOVE THE 8 SCREWS HOLDING THE HEATER COVER IN PLACE AND REMOVE( SEE PIC )

5. FOUND THR PLUG FOR THE HEATER TO THE RELAY(JUST TO THE LEFT OF THE MOUNTS FOR THE INSTRUMENT PANEL
( SEE PIC. ).I HAVE POWER AND EARTH SO THE WIRING FROM THE RELAY IS FINE.

6. I MOVE ON TO THE RISISTOR PACK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HEATER MOTORS ( FIND NO POWER FROM THE HEATER CONTROL GETTING THROUGH TO THE RESISTORS A QUICK SPRAY WITH WD40 AND CHECK ( SEE PIC ) EVERYTHINGS FINE JUST POOR CONNECTION

7. CHECK FAN EVERYTHING WORKS ..REPACE EVERYTHING

This also works if the heater control has no illumination and all fuses and relays are ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys , Having read through the whole thread it seems I also have a failing " Resistor pack " . Can anyone advise me where it is located on a 2003 Espace 2.0 Expression. Petrol

Thank You

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
.Does anyone know what amperage these should be?
If both fans are equal you can measure resistance which should be (near) equal.

Short circuited el. motor resistance goes either lower or becames zero.

Multiple pole (not typically DC motor) motor should also have (very near equal resistances)

I = U / R where

U = Volts (12-13,6 most likely)
R = Measured resistance

I = Amps you wanted

41 - 45 of 45 Posts