Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just replaced rear coil springs on a 53reg Espace you don't need any special tools just a jack ,axle stands a length of timber say 3"x2" 3 foot long and a small block of wood

It might be a good idea some days before start of the job to spray bottom shocker bolts with wd40 as last year I replaced the shockers and spent an hour trying to undo them
1 ONLY DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME
2 Chock both front wheels
3 Remove hub caps loosen rear wheel nuts
4 Place jack under rear axle to one side jack up high
5 Place axle stand infront of trailing arm but under chassis member don't trap pipes or press against fuel tank
6 Spray shocker bolt with wd40 Undo bottom bolt on shocker pull out the way
7 Remove road wheel place under car

8 Lower jack leave in place but no weight on it
9 Spring won't drop out so place a length of wood and block between trailing arm and chassis member look out for wires or pipes ,spring will then fall out
10 Replace spring
11 Tighten shocker bolt
12 Put wheel back on
13 Jack up remove axle stand
14 Lower jack
Repeat process for other side

Hope this helps you
STUNTMAN

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Re: How to replace rear coil springs on a Espace (with pictures)

I replaced the rear springs on my Espace today, it wasnt that bad a job really.
I followed a similar method to Stuntman, but I left the wheels on and jacked it up until they where about two inches off the ground then supported it on axle stands.
you do need to soak the bolts on the shock absorbers, then work them out and back in a few times or you will probably shear them off.
The whole back axle will lower down and enable you to remove the old spring. I then fitted the new springs which slotted in easily, put the jack in the middle of the axle and making sure the springs sit properely in there rubber sockets, jack it up and fit the bolts back into the shock absorbers.
It took about an hour in total and the springs cost me £45 off ebay, they are the same thickness all the way too the pigtail ends and the old ones where thinner to the ends so hopefully the new ones should last longer and be better for when I tow my caravan.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Hi
The method should be very similar on a laguna, although there is no link bar between the hubs.
You will need to un-bolt the shock absorbers the same way and lower the suspension to get the old springs out.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I wouldn't be using the jack under the centre of the rear axle beam - I have aheard they can bend very easily throwing the rear wheel alignments out big time.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
The jack is only being used to lift the axlle back up so that the shockers can be re attached, not for the lifting the car up.
It is definitely not advisable to try lifting the car up by putting the jack in the middle of the axle as this will potentially bend it like big dav said.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
I wouldn't be using the jack under the centre of the rear axle beam - I have aheard they can bend very easily throwing the rear wheel alignments out big time.
you are correct the centre beam is not strong enough to use as a jacking point.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi.

Just changed rear springs on my Scenic 2....above method worked a treat Thanks.
I found the easiest bolt for the shock absorber was the top one in the boot,as it was
not covered in road dirt.

(Again many thanks....just need to sort the keycard and ecu so i can lock it.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I come from Denmark, I hope that it is ok for me to post here :)
I just serviced nu girlfriends espace a few days ago. Everything ok, apart from worn rear brakes and 2 broken rear springs.
Now for the springs: I plan to buy them from German autoteiledirect.de -a lot cheaper compared to Danish prices. But the problem is, that there are several versions of the spring, even when specifying the right model, year an engine type. I find at least 10 different versions, some specified by only a few millimeters difference in length, and some with a thinner diameter of the wire towards the end. Problem is, impossible to establish this knowledge from the old springs, when the lower part is broken off and long lost on the highway somewhere.
I called the local (independent) dealer, he specifies a spring that refers to Renault OE numbers 8200048205-206-207. But when cross checking these numbers with autoteile, this turns out to reference 3 different types.

Now: how do I find the right OE number?
Or is there a web page for a supplier, that could give some info to be trusted in?
I could of course call the Renault-dealer, but even with the independent supplier, then price was doubled up compared to autoteile...

Hoping for some appreciated help. Thanks,

Best regards,
Mikkel Sorensen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Mikkel,
I got replacement springs for my espace and was asked how many coloured dots and there colours are on the spring.
Is this helpful. (I had 1 blue dot.)

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts