Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just recently bought a 2006 renault espace 2.0dci 175 as we needed a big car for the family. We have a trailer tent with 7 pin plug and i need to fit a towbar to it. Is this something that can be done on a driveway at home easy enough? Will holes need drilling etc?. Also regarding the electrics i want to fit a 7 pin socket in the car as thats all i need. Can i just solder it into the loom for the rear lights or does it have multiplex and need a 7 way bypass relay to avoid popping ecu.looks like renault sell a dedicated 7 pin kit for around 35 quid plus vat but it says on the instructions not to uk spec. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Quick google came up with Witter instructions

Looks like no drilling required. As for the wiring, not sure if you can tap into the loom without butting up warnings.

However, kits are available from basic to car specific, check out autodoc for example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks there is someone local selling a used towbar and electrics so will probably buy that and see what it comes with. Renault do a dedicated 7 pin electrics but it says on the part description not for uk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So got the towbar fitted was relatively easy just a dirty job. Going to be wiring up the electrics over the next few days. Went for a 7 way by pass relay. Is there a permanent live in the boot anywhere please or will i need to run the power wire to the battery. Also how much of the rear trim do i need to remove to get access to the rear light wiring. Thanks

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,499 Posts
so your fitting two plugs then, one for internal caravan electrics ( Grey cap ) fridge, and to charge leisure battery
And one for towing caravan ( Black cap )

As much of the trim as possible..
Make it easy for yourself ..

Dont forget the indicator buzzer also needs a place to go, Try and get this as high up under the panel as possible , so you can hear it ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just single 7 pin for a trailer tent we bought end of last year. Im hoping theres a perm live in boot somewhere for relay.ive read the bypass relay has a built in buzzer. The main boot panel either side looks like it will need to come off aswell

·
40,499 Posts
Sorry confused now

you have Brakes = 1 wire
Indicators = 2 Wires ( These go into the buzzer and back out to the indicators on the car )
Sidelights = 2 wires
Fog = 1 wire
Reverse - 1 wire
And Earth = 1 wire
Thats your 7 wires,
POWER supply For?

·
40,499 Posts
Did it come with the wiring and in line fuse,
What have you got to fit, 25 amp, You do know its A Legal Requirement to either have a light on/in the dash area, or a buzzer for the indicators
Another New Law that came in on the new Mot laws , no lose wiring running under the car ( Especially a power supply )
But thats more of an insurance issue, The MOTer can only fail it if he sees it..
But should something go wrong , Insurance Companies will try every trick in the book not to pay out...
No ,,, Not any wires in Your Boot area that will have a wire that will allow you to break into it to connect a 25/30 amp fuse thats powered permanently ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh it came with the wiring and inline fuse. Think im going to have to run it through the car and to the battery. Relay has built in buzzer so all good there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts