Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to posting here.
My Renault Espace failed its MOT on emissions(exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke for a turbo charged engine).The guy at the garage told me to buy some diesel magic pop it in give it a run around and it should be fine,im not convinced as when i rev it its still quite smokey.Ive also gave it a oil/air filter change.
Its due back in on wednesday and im really worried its going to fail again.
Anyone with anymore idea's as to what i can do please
thanks in advanced.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

I'd be inclined to do what the mechanic says - if he felt he could've got you to spend more money, then in all likelihood, he would got you handing the cash over.

I am going to presume that you car normally does city/urban driving, which would cause soot (and the like) building up.

Select a good quality additive (I've used Millers - found it to be good), and give the car a good blast up through the gears (when the engine is fully warmed).

On that subject, give the car a good drive to the test station, as cold engines run richer (dirtier) than warmed-up ones.

Am sure the car will be fine.

Paul:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
De- coke

Hi

Can't add anything to current advice, but here's a tip for the future, depending on your milage. My 98 Scenic failed in exactly the same way. Fortunately it was due a service including timing belt change (£ouch!). The expense is the labour involved in stripping down the engine. It costs very little to get them to de-coke the engine at the same time. Passed the next 2 MOTs no probs until i moved it on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for ur advice,its in tomorrow for the retest so here's hoping it will pass.Hope so as ive spent enough on this moter already in the 2yrs ive had it.
By the way milage is over 115.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts