Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi al, we have an renault espace 2.0l manual, W reg. We were driving today and heard like a grating noise/clunk that lasted for couple seconds then went, then it did it again and went, then all of sudden the car rolled to a stop, now we can start the engine, we can put it into gear but it will not move, we can select gears 1 to 5 without using the clutch, but to select reverse we do have to use the clutch, when it is in reverse when clutch released, we can hear a grating noise, when we press the clutch pedal down we can see the lever moving on engine under bonnet, i have removed the gear stck cover to check the cable their and gave a pull but it is stuck tight. We have been told it could be the gearbox (if can put in gear surely not) and also that it is the clutch (but need to use clutch to select reverse) is their anyone that has had this happen to them, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am member of forums and understand listings get missed, i did give this listing 2 days to see if got response, i haven't so this is a bump....:cool:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi,

It sounds very like the gearbox? diff? or inner CV joint? on the box iam afraid,It could be clutch related but i doubt it?

The only way forward will be to have it removed and take from there as your not going to be able to do anything like repair it or replace it until thats done iam afraid,

Iam sure another member will give there input if and when they have the answer?

Hope this helps for now all the best Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Don, thanks for reply.
someone did mention diff, also been told clutch, or gearbox completely, also someone else said could be the cluctch cable that goes into gearbox as when we press the pedal down we can see the paddle moving on engine.

If it is the inner cv joint or diff can these be replaced or would we need to get another complete gearbox, We not had the car very long, it is our first Renault in 20 years of driving and i must admit i do quite like it, but this is the first time i have ever had problem like this, i'm not a mechanic, and funds are very tight (4 kids and missus keeps spending).....:crazy:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Don, thanks for reply.
someone did mention diff, also been told clutch, or gearbox completely, also someone else said could be the cluctch cable that goes into gearbox as when we press the pedal down we can see the paddle moving on engine.

If it is the inner cv joint or diff can these be replaced or would we need to get another complete gearbox, We not had the car very long, it is our first Renault in 20 years of driving and i must admit i do quite like it, but this is the first time i have ever had problem like this, i'm not a mechanic, and funds are very tight (4 kids and missus keeps spending).....:crazy:
If the clutch lever looks and feels to be working that would point to the pressure plate and thrust bearing doing its job but to be honest the only way to tell for sure will be to take the box off iam afraid,

If its the inner CV joint? or diff? iam sure they could be replaced? but at what cost iam not sure? it might be as cheap to replace a used box and new clutch kit,

Iam sure other members with more knowledge than me will give there advice soon?,

Cheers Don

·
Registered
98 Posts
isn't the inner CV joint on the driveshaft?, in which case your looking at £200 for a new one.

they usually dont just go with a bang.

when the car is in the air with wheels off the ground you should be able to the inner drivshaft turning if its just the CV joint.

is it high milage? never had the oil changed? low on oil?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts