Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced the expansion tank on my 1989 1.9 diesel extra van. Since doing this I can't get the system to fill correctly. There is no water in the top radiator hose and despite bleeding it for (literally) hours I have had no success. I have replaced the thermostat assuming it was sticking but still I hvae a dry top hose. Strangely, the van is driving fine and not overheating but I suspect that I am not doing it any good by driving it like this. I have a 400 mile drive to undertake in a weeks time so really want this resolved before driving that distance. Any ideas?????

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Why did you replace the expansion tank?.

Has there been an on going problem with the van?.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Header Tank

Have you tried running it while parked with the radiator cap off - this allows any trapped air to escape. It is possible the stator has come adrift on the water pump so listening isn't always a good guide. Another tip is to squeeze the main hoses as somtimes this helps to evacuate any air. Once the air has been removed and you rev the engine with the radiator cap off you should be able to see the coolant circulating - if not it could be a sign of a faulty water pump. As already asked why did you have to renew the coolant expansion tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The expansion tank had a leak. I've tried squeezing the hoses and running it with the radiator cap off to no avail. I did suspect the water pump but figured if it wasn't pumping the van would be overheating which it's not.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Any idea how the header tank got cracked - could it have been the result of frost - if so damage could have occurred elsewhere.
Is there any decent heat coming out of the heater. Is the temp guage rising or are any warning lights showing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure how it burst. There was a small chip in it about the size of a 5 pence. The surface area was damaged and water was seeping through. Doubt it was frost damage. The van doesnt have a temperature guage, only a warning light which is not on but is working as I have tested to make sure. The heater blows very hot when turned up to high. Thanks for the time you're taking. I don't know if this is getting to you but it's certainly got me exasperated!!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
You say the heater is giving out good heat - very hot you say. Could be a blocked radiator as the engine needs to disapate heat and if it can't do it via the main radiator it will try to do it through the radiator (matrix). Have you tried removing one end of thetop hose when filling to see if any coolant is reaching that area. Remember to do this when the engine is cold. Exactly how did you bleed the system.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I filled the system through the expansion bottle with the bleed screw in the top hose removed and the one in the radiator loosened off. I havent checked to see if the radiator is blocked as when I bought the van the guy I got it from said he had replaced the radiator a few months before so assumed - possibly incorrectly that it would be OK. I've been told there should be another bleed srew on the heater hose but there doesn't seem to be one there. There is a point in the top heater hose that splits in 4 directions (ie like one in and 3 out) which to me doesn't look like it should be there but I dont know the system so cant say for sure.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Try to find out from the guy who sold you the vehicle if the replacement radiator was new, refurbished or second hand. The main problem with buying out of scrapper is that the radiator could have been lying around for a long time and any deposits have become solidified in the cores. Your probs seems to centre around either air locks or blockages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved. I spoke to a friend who used to have a Renault 19 and he had experienced the same problem. Lifting the expansion bottle by a few inches while filling the system gives enough extra head to push the water through the system. I tried this and within seconds I had water at the top hose bleed screw and no air at all in the system. A simple solution to a very annoying little problem. Thanks very much for all the time you took suggesting possible fixes. Hopefully this info might help someone else in the future who is as frustrated as I was!!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Well done - you got it sussed. Your friend experience caused me to remember (memory not a good anymore) a situation I came across a long time ago - again on Renaults. It was one of the old time mechanics (blood, sweat, tears - no blood in his veins just pure 10-30 lube oil) he had modified a range of filler caps to suit a range of cars. He cut a hole in the top of discarded cap attached a long piece of hose (about a metre in length) - to the other end he attached to a large funnel. When he was filling up he would hold it at head height and proceed to fill - he swore it worked every time and he said it was his best invention. Just think of the time and money he saved. He sayed that he thought Renault had a similar system. Does anyone know if he's correct and is there a similar system available today. Probably would be too difficult to make one if you put your mind to it - any suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have heard that Renault have a system that pressure fills the system which would obviously gt around the lack of head problem. Not sure if this is true as I asked at Renault if they had any ideas relating to my problem and two of there mechanics drew a blank suggesting all the same potential problems that have been suggested above. I would have thought that a Renault delaership would have knwon this simple solution straight away.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
We have a pressure operated cooling system filler at work,but results with it have been mixed....

The only cars we ever have problems with air locks on are k-series engined Rovers and some of the earlier 6 cylinder BMW's,apart from that their all pretty straight foward.The important thing to do is fill them with the engine running and make sure it's running at fast idle.

I doubt many Renault Technicians have worked on Extras,to be honest,as even the last ones are a few years old and the main work for a dealer is on warranty jobs on cars that are less than 3 years old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts