1 - 20 of 8007 Posts

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Could this be the birth of Renault Forum [email protected] Team

Team ID = 51078

[email protected] is helping to find cures for bad disease's, and SAVE LIVE'S

This is a bit on the heavy side & a lengthy post folks, so please bear with me...

Renault Forum [email protected] Team Wants Your Computer

After a lengthy period of inactivity I have now restarted *[email protected]* participation again, sharing computer processing results with the Stanford University Chemistry Department's human protein project.

Renault Forum members PCs can help this biomedical effort. BTW it is painless, and theoretically [email protected] doesn’t require any clock watching or baby-sitting, you just download the file and let it run when your PC is on. It’s like doing voluntary work, but without ever leaving home.

-----------
*Stanford's Mission: What proteins are, and why do they "fold"?

Proteins are biology's nanomachine workhorses. Before these organic compounds can carry out their biochemical function they assemble themselves, or "fold." Protein folding is critical and fundamental to all biology- animal life does not exist without it -and it's detail remains a mystery.

Not surprisingly, when our proteins don’t fold correctly, or "misfold", there are serious effects including diseases like Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, cancer and Parkinson's.

[email protected] is a distributed-computing project to study protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. The human body makes at least 50,000 different proteins in hundreds of thousands of combinations. Stanford's computational methods and large scale distributed computing simulates geologic timescales thousands to millions of times longer than current time. We can simulate folding with our personal computers help, and direct our research to curing folding-related diseases.

Since October 1, 2000, over 1,000,000 CPUs in the world participate in [email protected] Every additional CPU gives us an added boost in performance processing, allowing us to tackle harder problems and get the solutions more accurately."

Stanford's EULA is short: ". . Thank you, . . no strings attached . . ".

Anybody else here already [email protected]? Or Want to help? Renault Forum [email protected] Team. Our forum has agreed loaning some posting-space, with no obligations in either direction. Thanks O.G & Mike

OMG-- I'll “try” dealing with questions via this thread. Installation is a small download of initially around 400KB to configure personal settings, and then download a protein project of between 3Mb and 15Mb to process. 'Folding' works on the PC at the very lowest priority, it is completely user adjustable, and doesn’t interfere with operations like surfing, gaming, word-processing.

It does require minor use of the Modem or Broadband connections to obtain work units and after you’ve finished processing them, sending the finished results back.

There are no server privileges needed, and online access is configurable thru firewalls. Online time is limited to downloading a project, and then reporting the results back again to Stanford University.

You can find out more about this project here http://folding.stanford.edu/

Our Team I.D is 51078 this is most important folks. The team number makes sure the results are recorded here to us

There’s different versions of [email protected] to suit different operating systems here

With Windows XP I’ve always used the [Graphical Client version 5.03] because I’ve found its much easier to set-up, and also see how far the work units progressed, and how many hours I have left to be done.

With the "No nonsense" text-only console versions” you can see bu**er all, and they are more difficult to set-up.

Anyone else interested? Come on for the sake of peeps health lets go kick some butts If we progress enough to less than team 2000, our results get reported in here it’s a long haul though and we’ll need a good deal of help from lots of Renault Forum people.

If you’ve got any questions post them below, but please go easy on me, although in the past I’ve done a lot of this [email protected] stuff, it’s the first time that I’ve ever tried this, right from the very bottom end up.

BTW nothing about [email protected] is fast, it took me slightly more than two days to complete 90% of this my first [email protected] for the Renault Forum Team.

Current Work Unit
-----------------

Name: p1808_Collagen_Brodsky_r
Download time: July 22 20:20:24
Due time: September 4 20:20:24
Progress: 91% [|||||||||_]

BTW that one above, is finished now. :)

One final thing, you would be in breach of Stanford’s E.U.L.A and more importantly your contacts of employment, if you use a works computer for [email protected] without express written permission from the person who owns it. So don’t do it.

Don’t risk losing your JOB I could be doing this with 18 of them at work, but I won’t be.

Read about [email protected] here!

Use one of the Graphical clients, not only are they easier set-up, but also they’re a lot easier to pause or even stop. With the Graphical clients you get a small red gear wheel looking thing like this

[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Gogwheel.jpg"][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

which you can control with a few clicks of the mouse with the all text version you get nothing at all.

Team Score are recorded here I’d like to see someone else's name up there, other than myself.

Download [email protected] here

Edited 13/10/07 Download page link addresses page changed

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My second Renault Forum work unit is cooking now, JC its huge no doubt its the biggest one I've ever had and worth 620 points

Name: p1165_RIBO_H2O_flex
Download time: July 25 00:12:46
Due time: October 20 00:12:46
Progress: 12% [|_________]

My previous biggy was worth 600 points

I'd noticed there there was something missing from the team stats page, just realised what it is it's the team quick stats.

This just might be because tho ATM I'm the only member folding, but this is soon gonna change judging by an email I received sometime during today.

Welcome aboard the team to the latest member
Selwonk:beer: :beer: Many Thanks

Hope to see you in the team stats soon Mike, BTW will happen when your first work unit is completed and returned to Stanford Uni

S

·
0 Posts
Ah - I did wonder why I was not appearing...

I have a pretty much redundant PC which is running this at a low level so it will just tick along for the moment

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No probs Mike, thats the way it should be, just ticking along. In some of the other teams I've been in, things got extremely competitive, some folks folding with heaps of puters running 24/7 this is not for me now, my PC will only be folding while I'm using it.

Mike what work unit are you working on?
The easiest way to find this out is right click on the red cogwheel by the clock, go to status, then move up to My Folding, click on unitinfo.txt it tells you in there.

I’m getting ready to go out shortly, gonna do a presentation at St Johns Ambulance about 40 bods in there. JC I hope they’ve got air con.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'm in :d

Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name: p1478_tet_1478
Download time: July 25 16:02:16
Due time: September 15 16:02:16
Progress: 6% [__________]</pre>Task manager is saying 100% CPU usage, but I've not noticed any system slowdown. My only concern is that my notebook is running VERY hot (noticeable though the keyboard) so obviously it's using more electricity.

So maybe it's not 'free' CPU power after all. Still, it's all in a good cause :d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the latest member of the folding team Horatio
Many Thanks :beer:

Yep, it will drive the CPU @ 100% but this is fully adjustable you can lower this figure and temps if want to. If you can't find the info on how to do this, post again tomorrow and I'll explain, I'm cream crackered tonight.

I've set desktop @ 100% load, current CPU temps 120 degrees F :cool:

BTW This is with bog standard out of the shop air cooling no fancey fans, or heatsinks.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quinten said:
Sorry guys, I am already folding for Briskoda. We are currently 138th out of 44683 teams :)
Thanx Quinten any folder, in any team is a good folder :beer: especially one that's carrying 68813 points.
If you take a look in the stats under both hondo & Memhondo you'll find me in there, @ least 3 times.

I would really like to make this team successful.

:) Obviously you know what folding is about, consider swapping over..... Pleez ;)

And for the rest of you, there's been 74 views of this thread and yet only 3 take ups. This may well be because I havent explained it very well, or you haven't had the time to read the whole thread, and therefore may have a lack of understanding.

So I'll explain everything very briefly I'm going to make it very clear.

[email protected] is helping to find cures for bad disease's, and SAVE LIVE'S :)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:beer: Yep thats it, its just like any other job, once you've done the job is when you get the pay....

[email protected] is helping to find cures for bad disease's, and SAVE LIVES

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I ticked a box in the configuration allowing jobs and returns greater than 5mb. Maybe that's why it's given me such a large job first time around. I did have it down to less than 8 hours to go, but having had the machine on hibernate in the boot of the car for most of today, it now reckons I have over four days left.

Considering I only started yesterday and I'm at around 70% completion, I think that's a tad pessimistic :d

I've run [email protected] before now, but this is the first time I've heard of this one. Much as I'd like to meet a Martian one day, this has to be a lot more useful and important.

S

·
0 Posts
Horatio said:
I've run [email protected] before now, but this is the first time I've heard of this one. Much as I'd like to meet a Martian one day, this has to be a lot more useful and important.
That's what I said to the missus just two minutes ago!

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Horatio did the computer reboot?
If I turn the PC off or reboot it, I get the same, and thats normal.

Mines saying 3 days: 21h: 43m:14s

Wed 21.36

Wed 22.07
Its saying now
1d 10h 38m 26s :d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Help,Hondo.

What is this(is stupid persons terms),and which is the easiest way to sign up to it(in stupid persons terms!)

It seems to have missed me by a mile,but I want to help out....

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanx lagdti

If you are using windows XP go here http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html download and install
Windows 2000/XP Graphical client : Version 5.03
You'll get a red gear wheel by the clock, right click on it, then go to configure your user name, goes where it say errrm user name :)

Then put this number 51078 (thats us), in where it says Team number, this is very important and all you need do.
It takes a few days before you will find your user name and completed work units in the stats page.

BTW this [email protected] is used for analysing really nasty diseases, and helping to find cures for them.

That’s about all you need do now, it will run automatically whenever you have your PC turned on.
Hope this helps, if you need more, just let me know. :)

Welcome to the newest Team Member lagdti :beer: :beer:
Lag just one last favour, twist Oilys arm now and also anyone else you can. :d

To make a major difference, we need all the peeps in here we can get participating. :cool:
Thanx hondo

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi Hondo,
I've installed the software and configured user name and Forum ID but all I'm getting is a message saying ''attempting to get work packet'' and nothing else seems to be happening. Any ideas or does it normally take a while to receive a work packet
Regards Leroy

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Welcome to the newest Team Member leroy
:beer: :beer:

Hello leroy
Sorry I've been so long, I went to bed :yawn:

welcome to the elite club, which anyone can join :)

If you didn't sign off the internet during the down loading,
It could be your on a narrow band dial up? Which would take a fair while , or in the case of you being on DSL it could be that Stanfords [email protected] server is down.

The latter I've found in the past does seem to happen too often, but when you consider there are millions of peeps around the world sending & receiving work units of maybe 15Mb it's hardly surprising.
:eek: I've just looked, the one I'm working on now is 27Mb :rofl: but I did say earlier, it's the biggest one I've ever had.

Thinking about it, maybe because I guess most of us here are from the UK you could be been held up in a WU queue. :d
Hang on in there. :beer:

[email protected] is helping to find cures for bad disease's, and SAVE LIVES

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Mine usually hibernate unless I need to reboot. I also have it set not to run the folding process when running off battery, which I was doing while at a customer's site yesterday.

I did have to reboot once because the little red gear icon disappeared, and I couldn't find another way into the application. Trying to run it from the start menu just told me I couldn't because there was already another instance running.

I'm on this one now:

Name: p1809_Collagen_POG10new_
Download time: July 27 03:51:46
Due time: September 9 03:51:46
Progress: 5% [__________]

More iterations but less points. I'm not sure how that works. :crazy: It's much prettier than the last one though (I've got coloured blobs this time :d)

1 - 20 of 8007 Posts