Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 Dci 106 hp Tom Tom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, spent last few hours trying to find answer to my question, but for some reason it seams that there is very little info online about renault cars and how to.

I have a Renault Grand Scenic 2010 with 6 speed gearbox and I have noticed oil leak coming somewhere from the top of the gearbox. I have removed the battery and still not able to see where it is coming from. I might have to remove gearbox side engine mount in order to see clearly. But it does seam to be coming from the area where the linkages connect on to the gearbox. Did anyone ever experience this with their gearbox and why would the oil leak from the top of the gearbox?

Where do I find my gearbox type and how do I replace oil in it?
Please if anyone has some info with photos.

EDIT: The gearbox is manual.
Also to mention, at the moment as it is gearbox works perfect hot or cold without any problems/noise but oil leak does worry me and would like to find out why is it leaking. Could it be that there is too much oil in there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, there's a breather on top, it's normal to leak some oil around, it's not a case of changing the gearbox. you can clean and let it go, check if the breather is there.
You can pull out and clean does going to help if blocked
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Breather pipe comes up from there. Not sure if it is blocked but the oil is not coming out from there. The oil is coming somewhere around where the linkages connects onto the gearbox. It is underneath the engine mount, but I will remove the mount tomorrow morning to inspect. I am just wondering why would the oil be leaking there.

Edit:
Not sure if this is the gearbox in my car, but these are the areas that I suspect leaking. Problem is there is a engine mount above that area so can't see. Crazy is I can't find anywhere online which gearbox is in my car. Lol
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after finding out which gearbox I have I couldn't find any more info online.
I have found out my gearbox type by looking at this website under Gearbox_type_and_suffix:
VIN decoder & lookup - Vindecoderz (You will need your VIN code)

Rectangle Beige Font Pattern Electric blue

After that I have went ahead and bought Haynes online manual since I couldn't find any info online on how to check/replace oil in the TL4 gearbox.

Since it seems to be hard to find any info online about this I will go ahead and write as it is described in the haynes manual.

For this specific gearbox(TL4) you will need this gearbox (Transmission) oil:
SAE 75W-80API GL-4

Now on to oil replacement.

1. Drain the old oil by removing the drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox.
2. Open the filler plug which is located beside LH drive shaft. (I have screenshot from Haynes, on my car it is white plastic plug.)
Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Auto part Drawing

3. You can pour the oil through the breather pipe coming out from the top of the gearbox, or through the filler hole (beside the LH drive shaft).
4. once the oil starts to leak out through the filler hole, you have appropriate level of oil in your gearbox. (Haynes says 2L should be enough).

Hope this will help someone in the future.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts