Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My clotch let me down a couple of weeks ago.
I took the Renault for repair to someone I thought to be able to trust in Southport. I am not sure if I did trust him rightfully. The clutch, which initially told me had to be changed, was not changed. Allegedly there is something that may start to vibrate at some stage causing damage to the potential new clotch. He told me that I should start thinking to change the car. I thought that it was odd to repair just the slave cylinder (charged £82.74 for the part), and the hydraulic pipe and valve (charged £66.21)+ £320 for labour, keeping the old clotch without being asked if I wanted to fix the "rest".
I know that I am not in a position to change car at this stage and I would like to know if you think I may have been overcharged, and if all the above makes any sense to you. If you didn't know, I am not really into cars...

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The price of the replacement componets seem about right. Replacing these entails removing the gearbox so labour is cost is likely to be high. Most people take this opportunity to replace the clutch unit itself. It may be possible he found the DMF (dual mass flywheel) was worn which can result in severe engine vibration. Replacing the DMF and clutch assembly would have been around £500 to £700 extra.

I'm surprised you weren't given the option of having this additional work carried out as the labour costs would have been much the same as you have already paid out.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts