Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Grand Scenic which has developed a problem with the front wipers. When I am travelling at high speed in heavy rain the wipers will work initially and then slow down and stop half way across the screen. After what seems like forever they will suddenly kick back in and start working again. I have tried to replicate the amount of water being thrown at the windscreen using a house pipe but the wipers work fine. The sensor also seems to be responding ok to water and changing the speed of the wipers accordingly. Any help would be appreciated as I am totally lost to what the problem could be.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Had a similar thing on my Laguna, it was the motor that was faulty, it would slowly heat up until it overheated and failed. It would then cool down and start to work again after 15-20 mins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dangerous wiper problem, please help !!!!

I have a 2005 Grand Scenic which has developed a problem with the front wipers. When I am travelling in rain the wipers will work initially and then slow down and stop half way across the screen. After what seems like forever they will suddenly kick back in and start working again. I have tried to replicate the amount of water being thrown at the windscreen using a house pipe but the wipers work fine. The sensor also seems to be responding ok to water and changing the speed of the wipers accordingly.

Sometimes the wipers work fine and other times they stop, no consistency to the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Does this problem occur when the wipers are manually operated or only when on 'automatic'?

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It happens on both. I used to think it only happened when driving in heavy rain at high speed. However I was driving yesterday at low speed in light rain. The wipers were on manual, 2nd notch down. They were working fine and then became very slow and then just stopped. If i move the wiper stalk up and down nothing happens. After a minute or so they wipers re-activate and I then have stalk control back.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Thanks for that.

I was trying to determine whether the fault lay with the sensor, the stalk or the motor.

From what you have told me, I'd say there is an issue with the motor either overheating (as has been suggested), or an intermittent power supply to it.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, not sure it's the motor as they stopped relatively quickly yesterday after driving off. Do you think the motor would have got that hot within the space of 5 minutes.

What is the best way to ascertain the problem. I would like to try and fix this myself as I don't have the Money to take it to a garage.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Might be a power-supply issue instead.

Someone handy with a multimeter might be able to test for continuity of the circuits.

I'm no use with electricity myself (don't trust what I can't see), but there are people out there to whom its second-nature.

I'd start by asking car-enthusiast work colleagues & neighbours/family members, before resorting to an auto-electrician.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problems with my wipers for the past 4-5 weeks. I drive a megane II, 2004, privilege dci and the wipers first stopped working when I was in a heavy rain and I was halfway to somewhere. It was pretty scary and life threathening because you can't see a thing on high speed and need to find a place to stop quickly.I also had a two year old sitting in the car with me.i had to stop and wait for the rain to stop too. It started working again when the rain stopped. It worked fine in dry conditions and next time when it rained it stopped again.it went on and off, on and off whatever the weather.i had it checked and my whole fusebox was changed because of it but wipers still don't work.took the car back again today and I'm very courious what will they come up with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.