Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Got a problem with a 55 plate Grand Scenic when i press the start button i hear a click on some clicks behind the dash but the car wont start

If I roll the car down a hill and bump start it it will start

I have had the battery on charge and then tried again but still the same

Do you think this is a failing battery or something more expensive (please not another expensive repair)

thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had the battery tested and it is showing 92% guy said it was ok

Why do i get the feeling this is going to be expensive :eek:

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
"(please not another expensive repair)" Not yet:)
Problem seems to be with the starting circuit. Do a search on here for ideas.
Essentially you need to check the earthing of the battery and the engine. If OK, check that the thin wire into the top of the starter is live when the starter is pressed and that the terminal is clean. If all OK time to think about the starter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

Got a problem with a 55 plate Grand Scenic when i press the start button i hear a click on some clicks behind the dash but the car wont start

If I roll the car down a hill and bump start it it will start

I have had the battery on charge and then tried again but still the same

Do you think this is a failing battery or something more expensive (please not another expensive repair)

thanks in advance

Hi, had the same problem today, Its the starter motor, you can get one off ebay for about £35

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,691 Posts
Make sure its in neutral and connect a temporary lead between battery + and small solenoid switch on starter to rule in/out this wire. If starter spins find out where this small wire is broken. If no change you need to carry out a voltage drop test (set multi meter to 20V)while operating the starter between + batt terminal and large starter connection then do the same with the - batt terminal and starter body. You should not see a drop of more than 0.5V with either test. If reading(s) are above this redo the - connections between batt and chassis leg and either end of the gearbox earth strap if high reading is on the - side and the connections between batt + terminal and starter if high reading is on the + side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts