Independent Renault Forums banner

Please vote if you have experienced bonnet catch failure

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
My offside bonnet catch was very sticky and often fails to lock properly on shutting the bonnet. Not caught me out yet, but I really should have it out and clean it up properly one of these days.

As I said, I can't help wondering if the only reason this hasn't happened to a Laguna on record yet is that there are two catches and the likelihood of both jamming up simultaneously is quite small. I'd like to see the design of the Clio catch for comparison if anybody's got a picture...

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Never experienced catch failure on the megane.

The other day though on the Questor I stupidly put the bonnet down gently and just pushed it closed. Hours later while joining the M20 it came back to haunt me when the onboard computer started speaking the word 'Bonnet' repeatedly @ 65MPH. I pulled over and had to re-close it.

Mighty good job it did of warning me - couldn't see the bonnet wobbling at all though it is very long. Lucky the car could detect it and warn me - It probably saved our lives that day!

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Yeah we were both well impressed. Normally before speaking it plays a few tones to announce its presence... It didn't that day it just got straight to the point and started saying "Bonnet.........Bonnet........Bonnet.........Bonnet"

I was seriously chuffed with the way it saved us from a probable accident.

Shame its off the road now the pesky sump has been cracked :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was driving on the motorway home today and the damn bonnet popped up and smashed my windscreen, wrecked the bonnet, dented the roof and there is damage to the side pillars too..

I want to phone Renault and yell at them...but I know they won't care. I want to sue them for everything they are worth. I could have been rear ended and died today.

Not happy :(

Has anyone had any luck from Renault in getting any cost. I never received a letter saying that there is a problem or to go to a dealer to get it checked. Full service history also.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
The only way a bonnet will pop up like that is if its been replaced incorectly.
Either by routing the main cable across the back of the engine bay wrong or if the short cable is not routed correctly past the PAS fluid resiviour which is usually mounted behind the radiator.
They have small clips that the cables must be refitted to or else they are pre stressed and can either fail to work when the cable is pulled by the dashboard handle or they will not correctly allow the catches to fully lock.

Catches MUST also be spotlessly clean, not gunked in grease or oil, as they then gunk up with dust and gunk from the road, which causes them to fail to work at all.
They can also SPLIT APART, if the bonnet has been slammed down repeatedly on them too hard.

The frpnt Middle sprung catch should hold and stop the bonnet from popping up if the main bonnet latches fail.

Should be pretty obvious that the bonnet is not fully locked in place by the gaps between the bonnet and the wings.

Probably better off searching for a couple of replacement wings and bonnet from a breakers yard, if you don't want to go through an insurance claim (legal claim against who ever incorrectly replaced the bonnet release cables would be your only recourse).

·
Registered
4 Posts
No part of the bonnet or the bonnet latch has ever been replaced on my car and has always been serviced by Renault dealships and MOT'd at VOSA approved garages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Disaster waiting to happen? :crazy:

Spotted in Bath Sainsbury's car park...
That will still be on the safety catch. The safety catch is exactly that. It should be functional upto I think it was over 100 mph according to Renault.

Which means that when Renault accused me of not closing my bonnet properly they where implying that I very delicately put it down so that the safety wasn't latched on.

Is that even possible??!?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The safety catch on mine went at just under 60... It was completely bent out of shape, it didn't just slip off. Then again, the Lag's bonnet (I'd imagine) is much, much heavier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Selwonk - that link you posted (in your header post) seems to be broken.... However, when I had a Renault Safrane I had two problems with the bonnet release. First, I had the same problem as Azurael, above (although it was the nearside catch in my case). When closing the bonnet I would have to hold it over the nearside catch and really slam it home - otherwise the onboard computer would pester the life out of me by constantly reporting that the bonnet was open.

Secondly, I once had a problem where the interior bonnet release failed and I had to take the car to a Renault dealer. It was quite expensive to fix IIRC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yes totaly, i had to take my grill of to gain access but now the rod that runs along the top of the rad has come loose and sits in the boot, lol funny thing now cause i dont need under the bonnet but when i do How the heck do i open her up , right sight i can open but the left is shut compleatly tight no room to get hand up and have a feel ... any help welcome....

·
Registered
6 Posts
although the catches are **** poor, especially mk2 clio secondry catches, freeing them off is dead easy, of course it does help if the bonnet has been lifted from one year to the next ( usually indicated by empty washer bottles and no oil in the engine):loser:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Bit nervous that the Lag II only has one bonnet catch. Having said that, the bonnet can't be much over 1/3 the weight of the Lag Is!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, yesterday I saw this post but I'd no time to read it. My bonnet was so hard to open. Today I did spray WD40 on it, closed the bonnet and... one more problem to get solved, the bonnet isn't opening any more. I removed the "puller/opener" however it's called inside the car but...nothing.
What I've to do now? I've to remove the protection underneath of the car and try to open it from there?
Anyone could help me please???
Renault Laguna 02 initiale
"Before I was dreaming with that car... now I can't sleep anymore".:d
One month of ownership... uncountable problems!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Today I got it opened. The catcher is far too rusty and the place were the cable goes is bending. I hope on Friday I'll go buy another one...:eek:
I already knew before... having a car is like having a second wife but this Laguna:devil: is even worse

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
No............Three clios in family, if you do the maintenance there is no problem. All it takes is a bit of copper slip to keep thing running smooth.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Just to put it in context. Ive experienced bonnet catch failure other than renaults.
Worst offender was an audi 80, also had it on an opel.
None on 2 renaults owned ,so far.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts