Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove a new Laguna. Everything was nice except for the ipod integration.

I had plugged my iphone 3G into the USB socket using the wire that came with the phone.

The system worked (although the phone warned that the accessory was not designed to work with it).

The music would play, and you can indeed navigate the hierarchical menu of playlists etc on the nav screen.

But it worked WAY too slowly to be usable. Scrolling through tracks is too slow, and as you scroll it tries to start playing the ones you are scrolling past.

And the display keeps returning to the satnav too quickly (how can you turn that off whilst still listening to music?)

I suppose I could plug the phone in to the aux socket with a 3.5mm jack, but this is a poor solution.

Does anyone else have these issues? Anyone know if it works better with an iphone 4? Or does Renault's own wire that I saw in the accessory list work better?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The USB cable you use shouldn't make any difference... iPhones always seem to throw the 'Accessory Not Supported' message when plugging them into a car stereo, never bothered me - what I did find was that with my fist stereo (an older Kenwood) the navigation was as you've found, laggy and irritating. I had a 2G iPhone for a long time and also tried 3G/3GS iPhones and a 2G iPod Touch and there doesn't seem to be any difference in responsiveness with the stereo (dunno about the iPhone 4 though.) When I switched to a later Kenwood, it worked much faster... This leads me to suspect that it's down to the stereo, unfortunately. I don't know if anybody here has experience with the Renault unit you have, and might be able suggest otherwise but maybe there's a software update Renault can flash to improve it if you complain to them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Azurael.

Yes, the popup message was not a problem. The deal breaker was really the slow operation which cripples your ability to do anything useful like selecting which music you want to hear.

Pity if Renault can't get this integration working well with their factory unit. But I'll investigate if there is any kind of software update available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts