Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys first post and hoping someone can help me ,my kangoo van died on me and had to get the AA to tow me home. The auxilliary belt shredded and there was strands all over the place mainly wrapped around the alternator. He told me the timing belt would prob be contaminated with the fan belt and probably jumped the timing hence why it cut out. Painted a very sorry picture of bent valves etc,anyhoo as it was all guess work on his part I took it with a pinch of salt and looked into finding out what had caused such a dramatic halt whilst driving. I cut off what was left of the fan belt and stripped out the timing case bought some timing pegs and set up the timing marks and everything was spot on. ,so the timing belt had not jumped after all. I did notice that a couple of the wires on the camshaft sensor were snapped so soldered them back together and replaced the camshaft sensor with a new one but it still wont turn over,nothing all the lights on the dash come on but wont turn over.I then plugged in my code reader and the code P0231 is stored with the message ,fuel pump secondary circuit low. Thats as far as i have got and need some advice on what to do next. Thanks Allan.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,763 Posts
When you say "not turning over" does that mean it is not even trying, or clicking or anything. If you are confident that the timing is good, can you turn the engine by hand? Is the battery ok and fully charged? How soon after the aux belt failure did you stop (or don't you know?). A snapped belt can do a lot of damage. Sure there are no other damaged cables?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for getting back on this, Yes its not even trying ,no clicks nothing,battery is fully charged and i turned the engine a full two turns via the crankshaft, put all the timing pins in the timing marks and turned it another two full turns checked the timing again and it was spot on. When the engine cut out whilst driving a STOP engine light came on the dash and engine cut out so I stopped the van immediately.I have checked all the wires I can see but cant see any other damage apart from the ones I repaired on the Cam sensor. I will check all the wiring again as soon as it stops raining.
If it ever does, lol, Thanks for the input, Allan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi just been out and checked again and turned on ignition all the dash lights came on went out and left a stop light on and an engine management light.Also if I turn off and turn the key right away without waiting for the dash lights to go out I do get a slight sound as if the engine is just about to turn,sounds like a slight cough,if that makes sense.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,780 Posts
YOU cannot check timing like that .
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..
Yours got a double sprocket as such..
The rear part to the cam sprocket itself held on by 3 bolts with 8mm head size holding the rear to the front..
And once undone the rear part can swivel

You need to remove the rocker box/ cam cover to be sure here
The keyway on the cam sprocket can shear, so though the tools align correctly the cam itself has moved .
Would be taking the cover off, and checking valve timing correctly ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and yes it has the double sprocket, I take it the no1 piston is at the gearbox end and to check if the inlet valve is just opening on the tdc stroke same way a petrol engine does,sorry but little experience of diesels

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get it checked tomorrow, also would the engine fail to turn over if timing is out slighty then. Thanks

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,780 Posts
Depends, as you say its been able to turn twice and pins go back in place should spin over on the starter ok.
When It died would imagine you tried to start it
Not blown the starter fuse if fitted have you..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, after it died I did try to start it but nothing happened even after charging the battery up. I am going out to it tomorrow if this rain ever goes off that is and will check all the fuses ,I dont know if it has a starter fuse specifically but will check them all. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys managed to fix it at last and thanks for all the help ,very much appreciated. Turns out the starter was gubbed after testing it found out it was as dead as a dodo put a new starter in but still would not turn the engine so proceded to check all the fuses again turns ot it was a 15amp fuse in the engine bay which was a pain to get at as had to strip the battery and battery tray out just to get access to them. Starting off the button now. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts