Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage is saying that to replace the cat converter they need to remove the manifold. can someone please explain to me why this is necessary?

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,353 Posts
My garage is saying that to replace the cat converter they need to remove the manifold. can someone please explain to me why this is necessary?
Could be a number of reasons for that..what model year engine and fuel does the car have..fill in your garage section so that will show every time you post so we dont need to keep asking..if you cant do it I will when you tell us..then you may get an answer to the question

Opps my bad its in the title lol Kangoo but not engine and fuel type..

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,353 Posts
Right 1.6 so big jobby eh..

main reason for removing the manifold will probably be access to the flange connecting the cat to the manifold..and that is why they are suggesting it..there are a number of different ways manufacturers mount and placement can also differ..some even use what is called Manicats where the cat and manifold are one piece..hope that helps Becca..

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,353 Posts
the pic is of the part that needs replacing
Yes thats what I just found as well and you can see from that the flange on the left of that pic where it will mate to the manifold..probably hard to undo the bolts connecting the two together and by removing the manifold bolts and maneuvering it then they can..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after the garage replaced the Catalyst converter my Kangoo failed MOT with the following issue "Nearside Front Sub-frame attachment bracket/mounting insecure small bracket from sub-frame to inner wing (bolt snapped) (5.3.3 (a) (i)) " the garage mentioned while replacing the cat converter that they had issues with the manifold... what am I to understand with regard to the repair?

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,353 Posts
after the garage replaced the Catalyst converter my Kangoo failed MOT with the following issue "Nearside Front Sub-frame attachment bracket/mounting insecure small bracket from sub-frame to inner wing (bolt snapped) (5.3.3 (a) (i)) " the garage mentioned while replacing the cat converter that they had issues with the manifold... what am I to understand with regard to the repair?
Would you adam and eve it..did the garage give you any further info on the manifold other than issues..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from my limited understanding is that the subframe had to be taken off when dealing with the manifold issue? is that correct?

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,353 Posts
no...they just said they have "issue with the manifold" and previously they said they have issue with "rusty bolts"
Bit of a guess but rusty bolts could be exhaust bolts or manifold bolts..any problems with the exhaust or manifold leaking [ chuffing sound] or fumes..

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,353 Posts
from my limited understanding is that the subframe had to be taken off when dealing with the manifold issue? is that correct?
If this is correct then they may have been partly responsible..they should have contacted Becca and made her aware of it..see if she wanted a repair made before the MOT..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have one more question. according to MOT report MA06XTD from Friday "Spare wheel carrier insecure secured with cable ties (6.1.5 (a)) " and that was after repair to the cat converter and sub-frame issue above. does such a repair require the removal of the spare wheel?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts