Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help i have just bought an x reg 1.9d kangoo, the problem is i have very thick gungy oil in coolant expansion, i cant find an oil cooler on the engine anywhere, the oil filter is on the block but no cooler,there is no water mixing with oil in engine as oil is clean, but it is really bad in header very thick sludge,van seems to have reasonable power and is not smoking at all any ideas thanks. Oh also on drive home lost 5thgear completely will engage but its like neutral.other gears are fine

G

·
Re: kangoo x reg problems

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Maybe it's suffered HG failure in the past and the coolant system wasn't flushed out properly or its early signs of HG failure?

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Re: kangoo x reg problems

+1 to the above!

Did you buy it trade or private? If trade then take it back and ask then to investigate/resolve both issues! If you bought it private you could always ask the previous owner of any history regarding the head gasket. If the head gasket was done recently then I would advise you flush the entire cooling system and refill fresh. However, if it were mine, for piece of mind I would at the very least get a compression test done to see if there is any issue!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi thanks for the replies, i am assuming my van dosnt have an oil cooler, i have flushed cooling system but when running engine with coolant cap off i can see oil polluted water entering header tank through overflow, would this confirm head gasket cheers oh sorry yes i bought it private, and because it was an old man in a very nice large house/estate in gloucester, and i came 90 odd miles i didnt check it, just paid and drove off
another of lifes lessons lol, anyway head gasket on monday i guess cheers

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
being an x reg its possible that it may need a new cam belt seeing as you are going to get the head gasket done you may as well get the belt done as well this way you know it will be ok for the next 5 years
Ron

G

·
A "sniff test" can tell you if there is any traces of combustion gases in the coolant. Though if the head gasket hasn't failed from the cylinders into the coolant system wont reveal much.

I would run the car for a few miles with some washing up liquid in the coolant and then flush again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.