Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a low mileage trekka 1.9 cdi the horn has stopped working and the fm reception is poor. before I investigate both problems I would like to get advice on troubleshooting and more importantly how I can access appropriate parts diagrams which will give me some schematic on how to troubleshoot and how to remove interior trim to get to where I need to for the aerial cable. I have done a search but not come up with any obvious answers

·
Registered
2006 Kangoo 1.5DciType XC1G K9K 718/JR5 145 or 116
147 Posts
Hi

I have a 2006 Kangoo (MK1 Ph2).

I had issue with the horn too. In my case, I had slightly knocked the horn while checking the power steering fluid level (my Kangoo has an electric steering pump, located just below the battery). The body of the horn is also the earth, so when I moved the horn slightly, the corrosion on the horn mounting bolt created a high resistance joint.

I think I had to remove the bumper to get good access to the horn, I cleaned up the mounting bolt surface, added some anti corrosion grease and three years later, horn is still fine. Also cleaned the positive connection to the horn (push on terminal).

The bumper is secured at each end by a visible large Torx screw, and some T15 torx screws along the under side, which attach to the under tray I think. I think there may also be something in the middle of the bumper, but on mine, it just lifted off after the Torx bolts were removed.

Regarding FM reception, is this the original Radio or an aftermarket unit? The Renault radio may need two "keys" inserted either side of the radio, which depress the retaining latches. Two 3mm diameter terminal screwdrivers or 3mm nails can do the job. Radio can then be extracted to check the antenna connection. More likely to be an issue with the roof antenna due to corrosion.

Regards

Russ

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi

Regarding the FM, I will have a look at my rooftop antenna - I think it just screws into the adjustable base, so just unscrew it anti clockwise, and clean it up, especially if there is evidence of chalky deposits and the thread, maybe add some petroleum jelly (vaseline) for protection.

Take a look at the FM frequencies by region

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/FM_Regions.pdf

find where you live, and then tune in to one of the frequencies for BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 or 4 as they will likely be the strongest signals for your area. Also try one of the Heart FM Stations as they too are usually quite strong signals and see if that helps you determine if the issue is related to a particular station (an antenna issue) or if affects all stations (this will indicate a fault with the radio unit).

Regards

Russell

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Wilkie

I had a look at my antenna - Mine has corroded itself in place - tried to remove it with some grips but no luck and as it is rubber, it left a mark in the rubber - I don't care on my car, but exercise caution if yours is in good condition.

Regarding the horn, I took a picture of the horn, behind the bumper, passenger side (circled).

You can just about see the nut that secures the horn to the bracket.

This is the view of the mounting bracket, just in front of the battery, circled.

Not easy to get to from the top, so, remove the wheel arch liner (2 T15 Torx on edge of bumper, 2 or 3 T15 Torx on underside of bumper at the front and 1 large diameter re-usable plastic rivet, that can be prised out with a flat screw driver). Pull out the liner (might be easier with the front wheel removed).

I have an electric power steering pump , which need removing to access the horn, but if you don't have air conditioning, your PAS Pump will be driven from the auxiliary belt, so access to the horn "should" be easy.

The fuse for the horn on mine is 15A and permanently live. The stalk switch and steering wheel buttons switch the 12V to the horn directly - no relay.

If you PM me (go to my profile and open a new conversation, I can send you some better info that cannot be posted online)

Russ

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have got this wrong....you can only access the horn by removing the bumper!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts