Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle with me :):d
I've just purchased a 2004 1.9 dCi Laguna and it has started feeling as if is hunting on idle which isn't very pleasant when you're sitting in slow moving traffic and have the kids complaining in the back about it making them feel ill :-( the car also has a vigration at around 2000-2300 revs. I've taken it into the garage to have the EGR valve cleaned which made no difference, and they reckoned the flywheel was out of balance as it was a DMF, and this was making the engine "unbalanced" however on contacting renault with the reg it seems it has a solid flywheel...result there :) I then put in Injector cleaner into the diesel tank in case it was a dirty injector which made a little difference but the hunting and always starts again the following day.
So my question is what is causing the mysterious hunting and vibration? are they linked or are they seperate issues? could it be the engine mounts? I just don't want to be spending money on unnecessay parts and repairs. Apart from that it's a very nice car to drive.
Many thanks
Nigel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I'll take at look later at the possible idling cure.
I've been looking around the net and it seems as though the vibration is caused by faulty engine mounts, some say the top mount is the usual cause and to replace it and others say the bottom one is the main culprit. I'm not exactly sure how easy they are to replace though, any suggestions??

G

·
It may be worth checking the anti-stall switch on the clutch pedal. If faulty they are known to cause idle problems and its an easy check.:)
Hi noel, thread hijack.:d
As part of a long running but fruitless fault finding excercise I've had my clutch pedal top switch out and checked it with a meter. It gives a small resistance of 0.5 ohms when operated so I am guessing it works.

Is that the check you refer to? It is only a on/off switch afterall, but is the resistance value of importance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the switch and it does seem to be working ok by checking it for continuity. This morning it didn't do it's hunting but there's still the vibration to contend with which is felt on the pedals mainly. I think I may have to bite the bullet and take it to a local garage and get them to check it out in case leaving it causes more damage as I believe it's either the engine mounts or the drive shaft as the vibration is only felt whilst driving. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it seems that the "hunting" and vibration have lead to the same conclusion, the timing belt is out by a tooth or 2 on either of the cam shaft pulleys causing it run ok but have a bouncing effect where it's running irregularly, should be about £300 to fix. Does anyone know if it's possible to check the timing belts alignment before taking it in to have it done?
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hunting is a term that garages are using when they desribe it back to me and it's when the car is idling it seems to rev at 800 & then 900 and back to 800 revs, like someones putting their foot on the accelerator in an intimidating way at traffic lights (but on a lower scale, lol) :)

G

·
Cheers, I've often heard the phrase but thought it was to do with the car revving very low at idle.:d

They should be able to check the belt before doing anything. I had mine checked after having a new one fitted as I thought it was iffy. It didn't take long and will save you £300 if it doesn't need changing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much did the garage charge you for checking it? the garage I went to said it'll cost alot just in hourly labour to check it as they have to drop the engine and other parts need removing, so it may be worth just getting it redone.Are they trying to rip me off and trying it on??

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
As it is a diesel hunting may not be the correct term. The term hunting is more appropriate to a petrol engine which is running rich
Surging would probably be a better desription.

On diesels surging is usually down to an erratic air or fuel supply.
My first checks would be to look for leaks in the air intake sytem and for air bubbles in the fuel lines.:)

G

·
How much did the garage charge you for checking it? the garage I went to said it'll cost alot just in hourly labour to check it as they have to drop the engine and other parts need removing, so it may be worth just getting it redone.Are they trying to rip me off and trying it on??
I'd say rip off to be sure.:eek:
I was not charged as it was checking work that they'd done.
No need to drop the engine. The had to take off a coupe of covers and an engine mount, that's it. 1 hr I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh right, cool. I'll go to another garage and get them to check it then. Thanks alot "ourcar"
I'll also check the advice from "madnoel" too and get the airlines checked one evening when I find the time as there never seems to be enough hours in the day right now and when there is it rains :-( Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted :)

G

·
I have a 2006 megane with the same vibration problem. Had bottom engine mount changed but made no difference. The vibration can be felt through the stearing more than anything else. Any idear's,
please?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.