Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tailgate won't open via the central locking or the key - can it be opened from the inside? Also the glass hatch will open, but won't lock!!

How do I get at the lock mechanism?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The only way of opening the tailgate from the inside is to take the inner trim panel off.If you don't have any other replies,I'll take the panel off of mine and let you know what to do.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Hopefully the interior trim panel screws aren't on the side of the tailgate making them impossible to remove if the tailgate is shut!!!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's on my list of 'things to do'.......hopefully I'll be able to help you this weekend.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I haven't forgotten you,honest!:eek:

I was hoping to have a look last Sunday,but it p1ssed it down all day here,but hopefully I'll have some time this weekend....unless you've already fixed it!:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sorry for the delay,but here it is....

You need to remove the 10 plastic covers which obscure the T20 torx headed screws.Some of my covers were missing....
They come out if you gently prise them with a small flat bladed screwdriver.

Remove the screws,and if your window will open,open it and pull the cover up and over the rear wash wipe motor.This is what you'll see....

If you pull the lever up as marked,you should find that the tailgate will open.If not,then pull the link where it goes onto the lock at the bottom of the tailgate....

If the tailgate still won't open,then get back to me and I'll come up with another idea!

I supect what has happened is the central locking actuator is faulty or the wiring to the tailgate is damaged.If you get the panel off and can't see the problem,then don't panic!.If you post here I'll try and help out some more.:)

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that - I can now open the boot!!

It was getting a bit dark, so I couldn't really see what was going on, but the actuator does work. When it operates, the white plastic ring binds against the rod that operates the lock - preventing the upper glass section from locking as well...

My initial thoughts are that the plastic assembly including the lock button and the white part the actuator operates is broken in some way. I'll take a picture of it and compare it to your photo to see if I can work out what's going on...

Thanks again!:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
No problem,Nick!:)

Sorry for the delay in posting the pics,but I haven't had 2 seconds to scratch my ar$e recently!....:eek:

If you need any more detailed pics,let me know and I'll post them here.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Laguna Boot not opening - tried all of teh above

I have a similar problem to the above, but has not been solved by the advice given, so the question is, what else can I try?...

The tailgate on my 1998 Laguna Estate Diesel is firmly stuck closed. I have removed the trim and the central locking servo works fine. I have disconnected the linkage and tried manually opening it by pushing down on the linkage, but no luck (have also tried lifting it and the other linkage shown on 'Lagdti's' photos, but no success either).

I have given the area a liberal spray of WD40, but no movement.

I have noticed an 'additional electrical connector' (ie not to the servo) that goes into the base of the tail gate from the inside with blk/gry & wht/gry cables. I don't know what this is, but have tested it and shows a change of voltage when the Central Locking is activated, so I'm wondering if this should release something deep inside the lock that I can't get to. ?!Is there anything else I can try ?

Ta

·
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
2,590 Posts
Hey Lagdti,

I don't suppose you have any other pictures of the mechanism assembly?
Got a phase one that won't open.
Took the door card off, only to find bits of the mechanism in the bottom of the tailgate!
I'm pretty sure I've got a busted piece but being a dumbass, I can't figure out what goes where.
I've had a quote for the whole "innards" of "28.75, which as the Stealers want £100+ I thought was pretty darned goob, but I'm sure it'll come in bits and I'll be back to picking me nose and scratching me ¤¤¤¤ as to what fits where.
Pretty desperate to fix as better half is wheel-chair bound and climbing over the back seats and that to open the tailgate is getting a bit of an annoyance!
Cheers for any help you can give.

Tony.

·
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
2,590 Posts
Hi Lagdti,

I need your expertise!
Lag1, phase1 tailgate mechanism is in bits in the bottom of the tailgate.
Took off doorcard, found (I think) all the bits, but can't see how they all go back together, so think bits may be missing.
Just wondered if you had any more detailed pictures of the assembly?
I've a quote for the "innards" from a scrappies for £30ish, with postage (stealers want £100+).
So any help you can give would be invaluable.
Need to get access, as the better half is wheel-chair bound and climbing over that and the back seats to open the tailgate is getting a bit annoying!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the problem that the tailgate of my Estate will not open.

The battery is flat but I thought that I was able to open it before WITHOUT the battery.

Can anyone advise if the batery IS needed to unlock and open the tailgate with the key?

Tony

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

What happens when you try and turn the key in the tailgate lock?.It should unlock manually but if the key just spins in the lock then the lock barrel has seized and the key won't activate the mechanism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The key feels exactly as normal. It pushes in as usual and can be turned to the left or to the right exactly as normal but doesn't do any unlocking!

But in trying to recharge the battery at the battery has found yet another problem!

The bonnet unlock knob in the cockpit pulls but does not undo the bonnet catch so whe you lift the manual release at the front it still stays firmly locked!

Currently have the battery on charge from the fuse box but the battery may need to be replaced as its been flat for some while.

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
My tailgate wont close/lock I mean when I shut it i can pull it open without pressing button, the catch was a bit tempramental when i first got it, had to slam it a few times to get it to work but it wont operate at all now, is this common?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep my tailgate refused to open this afternoon, but the glass part is ok.

Got home from Tesco with 30 mins of daylight left so got the panel off.

Central locking part is working fine but it appears when you press the button it does not have the ability to push the rod down to release the catch.

I cannot see anything broken off. No daylight left so will investigate more tomorrow.

Any suggestions as to what may need replacing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good information here on this, I had the same issue, did not take the boot apart, manged to get to open and then removed the palstic surrond on the lock, been fine for the last 3 months!

Might be worth a ago before taking things apart or spending money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts