Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently experiencing a soft brake pedal when have to brake for more than a second or two.

Just previous to this, I was occasionally experiencing steering wheel judder when braking at high speed although this has now gone.

I checked the fluid level. As it was a bit on the low side, I topped it up and perfromance has improved slightly.

However, the pedal is still a bit spongy and I can push it to the floor when vehicle is stationery if I push hard on the pedal.

With engine off, the pedal will stiffen as normal and the handbrake seems to be operating ok.

Apart from trying to spot a leak, can anyone suggest a likely cause? Also, should I be driving the car at all?

Thanks

G

·
Re: Soft Brake Pedal

The brake fluid should be completely changed every few years as it's hygroscopic and does absorb moisture.

I would have the break system completely bleed with new break fluid and see how it is then.

The seals in the master cylinder could now be starting to leak? Without the engine running the brake servo wont be working and therefore the amount of force on the brake pedal is increased.

With the engine running and the brake servo working and the increased force on the master cylinder a slight seal (internal) past the master cylinder seal would cause the pedal to sink.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts

Also, should I be driving the car at all?
To really answer this part of your query, you should ask yourself if the car would pass its mot in its current condition? Pedal 'feel' isn't measured, but braking efficiency (i.e. stopping power) is - so do the brakes work as they should?

If so, you should be okay to just monitor the situation whilst you get quotes. But be vigilant in case the situation deteriorates.

Needless to say, if they don't work properly - then only drive the distance to your closest garage.

HTH

Paul

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts

Hopefully the bill isn't too painful.

Keep us updated.

Paul

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts

Really glad you didn't find this out the hard way.

Thanks for the update.

Paul

G

·

Good job for dual circuit brake systems.

Glad to hear you have found the problem with out incident I hope.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts

A lucky escape then,it just goes to show that any change in the feel of the brake pedal should be investigated as soon as it happens.

Glad to hear this one had a happy outcome,I'll move it to the articles section as the problem is now fixed,thanks very much for the update.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

I am currently experiencing a soft brake pedal when have to brake for more than a second or two.

Just previous to this, I was occasionally experiencing steering wheel judder when braking at high speed although this has now gone.

I checked the fluid level. As it was a bit on the low side, I topped it up and perfromance has improved slightly.

However, the pedal is still a bit spongy and I can push it to the floor when vehicle is stationery if I push hard on the pedal.

With engine off, the pedal will stiffen as normal and the handbrake seems to be operating ok.

Apart from trying to spot a leak, can anyone suggest a likely cause? Also, should I be driving the car at all?

Thanks

Whats Your mileage?
Just curious if I shouldn't do that pipe just in case
Doing 950miles across Europe next week, so better be on safe side...

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
You can check all the brake pipes on your car by all means,but as your car is a Laguna 2 then I doubt this thread is much help to you in all honesty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.