Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the way that speakers are measured?

I am hopefully going to replace the speakers on my Lag estate and want to know for sure what size they are.Are they measured accross the mounting holes or the cone?.

These are the door speakers...

And after a lot of searching,I managed to find the rear ones!:eek:(They're in the roof,which is great from a practicality point of view,but not so good for sound quality!).:)

To be honest,I'll probably end up re-positioning the rear ones,but I'd like to know the size of the fronts.:).I know replacing the head unit would improve the sound quality,but at the moment that's out of the question financially,especially with the cost of the leads that are needed to do the job properly.......

Hopefully I can pick up some Pioneer speakers on the dreaded eBay,but I don't want the hassle of buying the wrong ones!.I don't mind modifying the wire connectors or the door cards slightly,but it would be nice to keep the work to a minimum......(because I'm a lazy b#####d!:d).I'm not after anything too special,just a decent sound quality so I can listen to my old school rock music properly!

Thanks in advance.:)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi lag

Across the speaker cones is way to measure them,my guess they will be 4 inch speakers but hard to tell from picture.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Me again.

Infinity speakers are good quality new,but the risk buying second hand is always there.

Are the speakers in good condition?

No damage to the cones and have not been overdriven causing damage to the coils.

Be careful....send him a message asking the condition of the speakers.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point......email on it's way.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He came up with the right answers,so I've put in a bid and we'll see how it goes.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Speakers seem to be measured in inches,and there is a section on eBay where 5 and 5 1/4'' speakers are grouped together.....13cm is approx 5 1/8''!.(there are definately 13cm speakers for sale on eBay,but some say they are 5 1/4'',others say 5'':crazy:).

I suspect that all of the above can be made to fit in a Lag 1.

I hope thats the case,anyway!:d.If not I'll make some housings and stick some bl00dy 6x9's in 'em!....:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The chap is selling some larger Infinity speakers too,so I've bid for them as well,even if it means building something to put in the boot to locate them!.

I'll let you know how it goes,but I don't hold out much hope.My max bids are in,but I've been looking at prices of other Infinity speakers and they are making much more money than this...:(

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,I missed out on the Infinity's,but I have bought some Pioneer TSE1390's from eBay.:).120w max,3 way 5 1/4'' jobbies which should do the job.£7.99 plus £6 p+p,which is more than reasonable.I've always had Pioneer stuff in the past,and I rate it highly,so I'm pretty pleased.Just the head unit,leads and rear speakers to go....:rolleyes:.

They should be here next week at some stage so I'll do a 'How To'......if my camera works.:d

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
The speaker covers just unclip. No need to remove the door cards. Be warned though, Renault don't normally give you alot of wire to play with and you'll need to change the connections if you are thinking of putting in new aftermarket speakers.:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Well,I missed out on the Infinity's,but I have bought some Pioneer TSE1390's from eBay.:).120w max,3 way 5 1/4'' jobbies which should do the job.£7.99 plus £6 p+p,which is more than reasonable.I've always had Pioneer stuff in the past,and I rate it highly,so I'm pretty pleased.Just the head unit,leads and rear speakers to go....:rolleyes:.

They should be here next week at some stage so I'll do a 'How To'......if my camera works.:d
Nice looking speakers those Lag. I had a pair of FLI 120W 3 way speakers which only cost me about £17 inc. p&p from ebay. The sound was crystal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The front speaker covers actually twist off!! opps!! As I have broke one of the locking clips, by trying to get the cover off with a screwdriver.
The size of mine speakers are 6.5".

Does anyone know what the size of the rear ones are?

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
The front speaker covers actually twist off!! opps!! As I have broke one of the locking clips, by trying to get the cover off with a screwdriver.
The size of mine speakers are 6.5".

Does anyone know what the size of the rear ones are?
Oops, sorry your right, they do twist off. I was thinking back to my Mk1 Phase 1 Lag I had before the Phase 2 I now have.:eek:

I remember in the Mk1 Phase 1 that the rear speakers were the same as the fronts and would imagine that this is the same for the Phase 2.

Just to let you know, the rear speakers are a bit of a bugger to get to. You want to make sure you dont break the clips on the panel that covers them like I did in my Phase 1:crazy:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you sure they're 6 1/2 inches?

You only measure the cone part,not the area where the screws are to mount the speaker......:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well,the new Pioneers have arrived.:)

Trouble is,they don't fit!:eek:.5 1/4'' is too small for the front and too big for the back.:rolleyes:.

What a crap week!:eek:.I'm now looking for some 6 1/4'' speakers.......:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts