Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Not sure if anyone can help or not but all 3 of the brake lights are not working on our 05 Laguna Tourer.

Checked the 20A fuse and all fine, Cant find any sort of switch near the brake pedal to check but that would be my gut feeling, car computer not coming up with any warning lights !!

Anyone have any ideas or what I could look for?

Thanks in advance

Yet more quality French Electrics !!

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
I take it you have physically checked for voltage at the bulb holders. There is defintely a switch at the pedal - in fact there may also be one at the clutch pedal as well:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I have found the switch (in the N/S footwell!!) and that seems to be the prob, bit of WD40 and its working again. One to keep an eye on though.

Only other tale tale sign is that when faulty I had to press the clutch to start the engine on hands free whereas before the fault I had to press the brake pedal! (thought was was wierd when that changed a week or so ago) but makes more sense now :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted Bubble and many thanks for the update which all goes to help run a successful forum:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,thanks very much for the update Bubble,I've moved your thread to the Laguna section where hopefully it will help out other members.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for that, I have found the switch (in the N/S footwell!!) and that seems to be the prob, bit of WD40 and its working again. One to keep an eye on though.

Only other tale tale sign is that when faulty I had to press the clutch to start the engine on hands free whereas before the fault I had to press the brake pedal! (thought was was wierd when that changed a week or so ago) but makes more sense now :)
Thanks for that my brake lights have gone off unfortunately it looks like a repalcement switch, I always start my car up with the Clutch down just been and tried with the faulty switch and your dead right

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I think I have a related issue - brake lights are permanently on! :help:

Can anyone give a mechanical ignoramus an idea of what I should be looking for in terms of the 'brake switch' mentioned above - sounds like I'm suffering the behaviour you'd expect if this switch were stuck in the opposite mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Further to the above, and with thanks to Bubble1974 for the location tip, I was able to fix my issue, with brake lights stuck on.

The fabric panel was flapping around under the glove box, and when I took that out a pair of wires came with it, with a switch on the end. I think it must all have been dislodged somehow by a passenger's foot (I have one frequent passenger who likes to press her foot against the engine wall in silent commentary on my driving style). :rallying:

A quick check demonstrated this to be the brake light switch. On mine, it's a white plastic housing with a black 'plunger' button that's sprung - when it's in its resting position (sticking out) the brake lights are on. So if it's not fixed against something, they're on. The neck around the join between those parts has two lugs, to slot and twist into a bracket on the engine wall that's up against a lever connected to the brake pedal in the other footwell (?). Once it's seated in the bracket, brake lights are off.

I guess if your lights are stuck off the plunger in this switch may be stuck in, or the spring is broken?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same problem with my 2004 Laguna 2.2 dci.

Had something hanging down in passenger footwell - someone’s kicked the connector (plunger type white and black) loose.

Read the post as had no idea what it was clipped it back in and break lights no longer staying on all the time.

Easy fix thanks.

Danny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts