Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I came out of work this evening, walked over to my car to find the back end of the car sitting on the floor, and a Spring laying on the floor !.
The right rear spring broke, and popped out while the car was parked all day.

Never seen anything like this happen in my life. Ever...
The spring looks like it just fractured, and its a sharp clean break.

Q. Since one corner is sat on the floor. Do you think the Shock will be damaged ?.

Q. How easy is it to change a spring on a Laguna II ?. I have no idea.

Luckily, Euro Car Parts in my area have the parts in Stock.

Thanks !.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Ugent help needed. Broken Spring. Laguna II

Hi paul,

Shocker should be fine buddy. Changing rear springs isnt to hard. On alot of cars its a case of removing the bolts at the bottom of the shock absorbers to free the axle unit from them. This way you can the jack the car up and wheels stay low down as the car lifts. This will probably give you the room to slip your new spring in.

As i say though I aint no biggy on lagunas but thats how I've done it on my past cars

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Springs now replaced.
£35 each from Euro Car Parts.

I could not work out how to slide the bottom of the Shock from its mount. It simply would not move once the bolt was removed ?.
So use a single spring compressor on the spring to compress about 2.5". Then they just popped into place.
Took about 20 mins per side.

It was odd. This is a 2003 car, with 98,000 miles on it. The springs looked perfect. Very clean, without any rust. And yet one had fractured with a very clean break.
Still i guess these things happen.....

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts

Thanks for the update.:)

The lower shock absorber mountings have a habit of seizing in place so I suspect this is what happened in your case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.