Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone tell me where the sensor is located for the outside temperature readings. My sensor is giving ridiculous readings initially e.g. -36 degrees sometimes, and seems to correct itself gradually.
Also is it easy to replace D.I.Y.
Thanks
Renault Laguna II 2004

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
the sensor is located behind the nearside mirror,if you run your finger along the bottom edge you will feel a dimple,i believe this is were the sensor is located,as for the replacement i have not done one,no doubt someone will be along soon to advise,

welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
outside temperature sensor laguna II

Hi
Thanks for your replies, I have found it on the passengers side mirror , but I have a left-hand drive so maybe there is no particular side for them.
Just need to find out how to get at it and if its easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
CAREFULLY remove the mirror. If you look closely behind the lower edge of the mirror you should see a spring type retaining wire. slide it to one side and the mirror should come free.
The sensor is then held in by a screw.
If you join the new to the old wires DO NOT USE HEAT. Just wind them closely together and cover with insulation tape.
During reassembly - make sure mirror retaining spring is in place at rear of mirror and gently push on the housing.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Adjust the mirror so you can see as much as possible of where it is attached to the centre mount. Push the top in. You should be able to see 2 ends of the retaining wire / \ at the lower end of the centre mount. With a piece of wire or something similar try to move/free one of the ends - this then slackens the retaining spring from the centre mount.
Renault then utilise a tool shaped like a 'tyre lever' which goes between the mirror and the mirror cover which, with gentle pressure levers off the mirror. This is done from the top edge.
I shaped a thin piece of wood for this purpose ~-¬
I was quite nervous as I had the expensive metallised Initiale mirrors - they of course remain attached to the heater wires so did not fall on the floor.
Refitting is much more straightrforward.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts

Click to visit page
Thats odd mines on the drivers side mirror

Adjust the mirror so you can see as much as possible of where it is attached to the centre mount. Push the top in. You should be able to see 2 ends of the retaining wire / \ at the lower end of the centre mount. With a piece of wire or something similar try to move/free one of the ends - this then slackens the retaining spring from the centre mount.
Renault then utilise a tool shaped like a 'tyre lever' which goes between the mirror and the mirror cover which, with gentle pressure levers off the mirror. This is done from the top edge.
I shaped a thin piece of wood for this purpose ~-¬
I was quite nervous as I had the expensive metallised Initiale mirrors - they of course remain attached to the heater wires so did not fall on the floor.
Refitting is much more straightrforward.
excellent post the mods should move it to the how to section

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Can I just add to this post as I have just replaced the external temp sensor on my car. I read the instructions here, but couldn't release the spring clip. I was frightened to force it as others have warned about in this section.
A friend who has a garage (servicing large wagons) said bring it down and I will look to see if I can help.
He promptly rang a Renault dealer for advice who said there would be no spring clip. just prise the mirror from the casing. He used a tool that looked like a shoe horn but with a forked end. The mirror came away easily he disconnected the electrical wiring which were slide connectors. The new sensor had a lug on which was meant to screw on to something. However the old one just pressed into a slot, so he just cut the lug off and bingo the new one fitted perfectly.
He would not hear of not soldering the wires as he said it was unprofessional. There was plenty of wire to solder it well away from the mirror case. This he did, then taped the joints, and put the whole thing together (the mirror just pressed into place}. Job well done and has been working perfectly ever since. The whole job was done differently to the advice given before, but please don't think I am criticising the previous advice given, it was just in practice my car had different fittings I think. I hope this helps anyone faced with the same problem.
Normc3943

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Any advice is welcome Norm.:)

Thanks for your time and effort,I'll move this post into the knowledge base before it gets lost here!:)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
The reason for not soldering is purely to stop the heat conducting along the cable to the sensor which will ruin it.
I happened to do this to a Peugeot 405 a few years ago!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
My experience of the door mirror suggests that there is more than one fixing method used.

I have an 02 Laguna Initiale and needed to access the motors to repair them.

On mine the mirror was held in place by a plastic locking ring. This is accessed from the top by tilting the mirror down.
The ring is pushed to the right and the mirror is then free.

When you get the back cover of the miror it exposes a small slot in the top of the case frame. This allow screwdriver access to the ring on the mirror to allow it to be re fitted.

The mirror unit in my Initiale also seems thicker than others. It has both heating elements and electical control to reduce glare.

Ian

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Hi alexs,
I got my new sensor at a local Renault dealer in the parts department. I do not remember the cost, but I dont think it was as expensive as I expected. Anyway I hope you are able to find one.
Good luck.
Normcl

1 - 20 of 32 Posts