Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am thinking of putting the car on the back of my garden ... and place it on my axle stands ... can lift the car 52cm height...

So lift the front and try to remove the gear box?

Has anyone done is as a DIY? I was told the sub frame has to be removed. ... in order for the gear box to come out...

I will need some advice as I am totally novice but willing to learn and have a go at repairing my gearbox bearings,

Cheers
V

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Jack the car up and remove gear box?

Couple of axle stands and a jack and you'll be fine.
Extra pair of hands comes in handy too!
Not sure about the subframe being dropped?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had a look to the link :) ...
however it is not as detailed as I would like it to ... in order to study it ...
do you think a Hayes Manual might give more light? :)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

The problem with Haynes manuals is that they often assume that every home mechanic has a detailed workshop like "Wheeler Dealer's" Edd China.

However, I can see you are making progress at dismantling this car - but I hope you can remember how to put it all back together again...:d

Paul

Reactions: Greeklaguna

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts

A tip: when dismantling - photograph the process, then when reassembling look at the photographs in reverse order.
Recently just completed a project with a mate replacing an engine and gearbox and stripping the engine bay entirely for painting. We took plenty of pics and tallied all the cables and little parts but it would have been a great help if we pictured the bolts with what we removed them from, putting them in paper bags was ok but 2 months later we were thinking 'hmm, im not sure what that meant!'
A couple of containers would have been handy too, as we were working in a workshop bits seemed to go walkies and we ended up having to make a couple of quick fixes

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I tend to screw the bolts back into the holes they came out of, or in cases where I can't I either tape them to the matching part (if removed from the car) or place then in labelled tins.

Old cat food tins and baked bean cans (washed out of course !) are great.

Marv

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's pretty straightforward as long as you are careful and logical.

You will need to be able to support both the engine and the gearbox independently. I use a engine support beam across the top of the engine compartment to support the engine and either a trolley jack or another lifting point on the same support beam to support the gearbox. It's heavy!!

You might be OK using two trolley jacks, but I would recommend buying an engine support beam!

You don't need to remove the subframe (well, not on my 1.8l 5-speed box anyway).

You will need to remove the lower links between the subframe and the front of the engine bay under the radiator. (it's the silvery "bar" that runs left-right as you look at the engine bay through the wheel arch)

You need to remove the nearside driveshaft. You can leave the hub and suspension in place (leave only 1 bolt in the strut-hub joint so it's bendy).

Cut the cable tie and pull back the gear selector rubber boot. Remove the bolt in the middle. Don't touch the "clamp" bolt on the shaft! If you have the cables, then they're easy to remove.

Lift the engine slightly, remove the gearbox mounting completely. Remove the lower link at the back under the engine.

Just go round the outside of the gearbox-engine mounting and remove all the bolts and nuts except the top two.

Lower the engine as far as you can before you strain the exhaust and/or the o/s top engine mount.

Support the gearbox, carefully remove the top two bolts and carefully move the gearbox and engine apart.

You should find that the o/s driveshaft will just disengage and remain "in place" because of the fixed bearing on the back of the cylinder block. If it's sticking, then you'll probably need to release the bearing from the engine and remove 1, loosen the other o/s strut-hub bolts so you can move the shaft away from the gearbox (once you have freed it from the box).

It's a bit of a slag. You'll need to move the engine about a bit to get clearance for the box to separate and again more manoeuvring to get the box out of the engine bay. Be careful not to damage it or the other items in the engine bay. The hydraulic pipe for the power steering is a pain and keeps getting in the way.

Refitting is usually a pain. Expect to spend between 5 and 30 min trying to get the gearbox to locate properly into the clutch. It's hard work. Sometimes you can be lucky and it just slides straight on, other times it can take ages.

So in summary: It's not hard, just time consuming and a bit tedious. Just go slowly and be methodical. Photos of pipes/cables etc are a great way to remember how it goes back together. There are some cables that need to be on the correct "side" of the gearbox.

Have fun!
John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Guys,

I have tried to contact the stolenmonkey but his mailbox is full ... if it is like mine 3messages limit I know it is a silly limit lol

My questions ...

Is there a possibility to list a really plain and simple step to step guide ... to what it needs to be removed so the gearbox to drop down?

I am planning to replace the clutch as well... since the 2nd gear set off technique is not gentle on it lol ...

I will empty the oil in the gearbox before I try to remove it ... and also I was told the diffs ... will need to be removed from the wheels? is that correct?

Cheers
Vasilis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts