Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Renault test bed of "if it will go wrong with a Laguna will go wrong on this laguna" has developed another fault. Interior fan does not work on any settings.

I've read ben1400's posting but this is for settings 1-3, not all 4.

Any ideas or will ben1400's solution do the job?

Many thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
try this

Hi, my Renault test bed of "if it will go wrong with a Laguna will go wrong on this laguna" has developed another fault. Interior fan does not work on any settings.

I've read ben1400's posting but this is for settings 1-3, not all 4.

Any ideas or will ben1400's solution do the job?

Many thanks
hi just had the same thing and fixed it ok there is no fuse where the fuses are so don't look there there is a type of fuse under there blower motor that is where you glove compartment is and is no easy to get to it is right at the back so you will need to get upside down to get to this or take clove compartment out only 1 screw for that if you look at my posts you will see some pics ..if you take that out see if there is any damage to it use a voltage meter 9 pound maplins ...if its not that it might be as my case it was the switch its self it had burnt out .so could also be that see if you have power going to the fuse if you have you know its not the switch if you do it could be the fuse or there blower motor hope this helps any way have a look at my post for pics ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Sctaz, you were right, blower motor u/s. Seems water has got in due to a blocked drain near the nearside strut top. Luckily the resistor is all good. Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Repair Motor

I had the same problem on my 2002 Privelege (Air Con). Local Renault dealer (Ness Motors of Perth) advised during service that there was a blown resistor due to water penetration, again because of blockages in drainage holes as described (an easy fix, if you hear water sloshing around or see it coming into the passenger footwell lift both ends of the plastic trim at the rear of the engine compartment and clear them out). Quoted £340, for a £33 part (or £66 if you go to their sister garage in Inverness) and a half hour work, or less, I found out when I did it myself. Part Number 7701 206 541. Easy to replace but easier to manipulate if you take the glove box out.
It wasn't the resistor, though how it hadn't overheated and blown due to excessive heat given that the pollen filter (which should have been replaced during the service) was choked full of pine needles and bits of leaves.
It was the motor, which I stripped, cleaned, and it works fine. The fan part is a tight push fit. I used two flat tyre levers to support the fan and drifted the armiture out.
To strip the motor, unclip the four metal clips on the side using a small screwdriver to lever out the flat face. Careful, they do spring out.
They're belt and braces for the plastic retainers, which can be released using a screwdriver though it isn't clear at first.
This will expose the motor, which can be removed from it's housing. To seperate the motor, there are four flats which can be prised up from their housing. They can be flattended back down to position with a light tap when re-building.
The armiture was rusty and there was corrosing all over. Cleaned up with a wire brush and some fine emery cloth. Brushes and magnets also needed cleaning.
Put it all back together and works fine.
I have basic skills only from years of old motorbikes, so this should be manageable by anyone, and if you break it, nothing lost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve got just about the same problem, Laguna II 2001. The fan is not working at all. I found the the water-outlet from under the windscreen was blocked and has passed water through to the blower and motor.

I’ve cleared the blockage and have checked the fuses behind the glovebox which are all fine. When removing the pollen filter I found a large amount of rubbish (it’s not been changed for a lot of years) which some of it has now dropped into the blower. So now I’m wanting to remove the blower (to remove all the rubbish and clean it out) and the motor (to check it electically and DRY IT OUT!)

That being said, I’m less than a novice at this and as such I’m struggling to actually get the blower unit un-mounted. I found a couple of images from a haynes manual talking about retaining bolt(s) but the image is a mess so I cannot see where these are! Looking up at the motor/blower I’ve managed to un-screw around 7 bolts from the top of the blower but there is one bolt at the back that I cannot reach! :confused:

Please could someone help me to remove this unit?

Cheers

Dafydd

·
Registered
3 Posts
In case anyone else reads this thread:

You don't need to remove all of the bolts. The only one that matters is the one at the front, which should be obvious as it isn't as recessed as the rest. You also have to remove the two which hold the conector in place, as this would obstruct the motor when you remove it. (Put the other bolts back in place before turning the fan.)

Once you've removed the single bolt at the front, grip the fan shroud, and turn it anti-clockwise. It's quite stiff, but will go. The fan then drops out of it's housing.

I'm assuming you have disconnected cables first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a problem with my Climate fan, it starts up and blows hard for, a few seconds, then dies. It comes back after the car is left for a while the again only blows hard for a few seconds before cutting out. Could this be the thermal fuse?

Laguna Initiale, 1.9DCi, 2003

·
Registered
11 Posts
A couple of days ago I found myself with the fan packed up as it not blowing even though the digital display indicated it was. I looked at various threads and took the fan motor out of the housing to find that the fins (looks like a hamster wheel) was barely able to turn. I tried to take the blower unit apart, but it beat me. I managed to get the end cap off (there are about 4-5 lugs that need to be prised with a small flat bladed screwdriver), but that was it. However, in trying to shift the plastic fins (hamster wheel) off the spindle I dislodged a whole load of rusty dust and other crud. The technique was that I held the fins (spindle upwards) and my wife used a hammer and centre punch on the end of the spindle. She tapped it fairly solidly, but the fan never budged off the spindle. I guess the shock-wave of the blows was enough to free the fan as simply after that effort the fins spun more freely. I then decided to go for it and squirted a small amount of GT85 (similar to WD40) on the back end of the electric motor. I put it all back together and it works!! On full power it does now sound a bit like a Spitfire as I guess I've unbalanced the fins so they rotate eccentrically - but it is working a lot better and since it is 10 years old I'm happy to get it going.:d

Whilst I was about it, I took the pollen filter out. Clearly that was the first time it had seen the light of day! I gave it a good hoover and put it back and will see about getting a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same fan blower problem.I cannot find the position of the resistor.I am unable to access any pictures
that show me where to go and what to look for

·
Registered
22 Posts
hello! sorry for picking up old post.
so i have laguna 2, 2005 2.0 petrol. fan blower stopped working but not suddenly. some time ago it started to start/stop randomly and after some time stopped for a while, like few days, and the suddenly came back. for few month everything was ok and the again same happened - started to stop time after time and now it doesnt work anymore. display works good, it shows that fan works but it doesnt. 1 time i removed fan and it was good, no dust, no water marks etc. spinned nice. what should i start to check to solve this problem?
my climate control panel looks like that IMAGE

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hope it's ok to jump on this post....my cabin blower won't blow faster than the first speed...even though digital display shows the bars going up when I press fan speed button.....tried new resistor pack, fuse and blower motor...nothing works...I'm scratching my head now as to what else it will be...anyone got any ideas before I give up completely on it x

·
Registered
5 Posts
In case anyone is still reading this thread...
Last winter my heater stopped working on 1, 2 , 3. The amazing posts from this website helped me to change the resistor pack and fixed the problem - thank you!
This winter (after smelling burning plastic) the heater blower again lost speeds 1, 2 and 3. I again bought a new one from eBay and replaced it today.
Now comes the interesting bit! It immediately started to overheat to the point where the green insulation plastic was smoking.
What could be causing it to overheat? Have I wired it wrong (I had to plug the four spades directly into the new resistor pack as the plastic plug did not fit the resistor pack socket)? Or did I buy a defective resistor pack?
It's minus four celsius out there now and I need my heater! And I don't fancy my beloved car becoming a fireball. Any help is greatly received.
Leevi
2002 Laguna 1.8 petrol, 109 000 km, living in Finland.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,764 Posts
We are going to need pictures of what resistor you bought, where you have put the wires in..

Make it as Clear as Possible, Take it that we have no idea, and can only see what you show. You have to explain to us...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Of course, pictures!
Incidentally, the blower still works on all settings but gets immediately hot (felt when holding the green insulated section, I did not touch the resistor itself) on settings 1, 2, 3.
This is where I bought it from (very slow postage!):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Car-Heater-Module-Blower-Motor-Resistor-For-Renault-Laguna-7701207853/122856849896?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2649
"For Renault Laguna MK II with OEM NUMBER 7701207853"
We've had about 20 cm of snow today...
Thanks so much for your help,
Leevi

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts