Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,350 Posts
The green part will be hot, very hot in fact
But when inside the system, and running there will be cool air circulating around it.
Keeping it to a safe temperature

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hot, yes.
But plastic-melting-and-turning-brown-and-smoke-coming-off-of-it-hot?
Surely it's not meant to let off toxic smoke!
I understand that putting it in it's correct position next to the blower motor will help with cooling, but I pretty worried about putting it there in case it actually causes a fire.
Or am I too worried? Honestly the smell of burning in the car is pretty scary.
Is there any other possibility?
Thanks,
Leevi

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,350 Posts
Got you, so its still burning when inside the unit..
If outside and testing it then because its a resistor its altering the power supply going through it..
But nothing to cool it.
Can only suggest putting it in, and putting it on a low setting first..
See if the smell is still there, if yes then something is amiss, and its either a faulty resistor or wires are not on correct, .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I was a brave boy and put it all back together (I put my hand in the slot for the resistor pack and, you were right, it's quite blowy in there).
It's a bit smelly on 1, 2, 3, but I guess it's fine.
Thanks for your help.
I'm praying I don't need to stand on my head in the footwell ever again...
Leevi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this is appropriate, but...
Thanks a lot, ours2012, it's still working nicely!
Now I'm heading over to a thread on tyre pressure monitor problems...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just thought I'd share my issues with the interior fan on my laguna 2.2 dci privilege.

Problem was the fan got rusty since water got in it due to leaves and everything else that was stuck in the drain pipes of the car (front right tyre).
The fan got stuck (didn't rotate) sometimes, sometimes it worked though...

After replacing it and cleaning the drainage pipes everything is fine and dandy. Watch those drain pipes guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple of days ago I found myself with the fan packed up as it not blowing even though the digital display indicated it was. I looked at various threads and took the fan motor out of the housing to find that the fins (looks like a hamster wheel) was barely able to turn. I tried to take the blower unit apart, but it beat me. I managed to get the end cap off (there are about 4-5 lugs that need to be prised with a small flat bladed screwdriver), but that was it. However, in trying to shift the plastic fins (hamster wheel) off the spindle I dislodged a whole load of rusty dust and other crud. The technique was that I held the fins (spindle upwards) and my wife used a hammer and centre punch on the end of the spindle. She tapped it fairly solidly, but the fan never budged off the spindle. I guess the shock-wave of the blows was enough to free the fan as simply after that effort the fins spun more freely. I then decided to go for it and squirted a small amount of GT85 (similar to WD40) on the back end of the electric motor. I put it all back together and it works!! On full power it does now sound a bit like a Spitfire as I guess I've unbalanced the fins so they rotate eccentrically - but it is working a lot better and since it is 10 years old I'm happy to get it going.:d

Whilst I was about it, I took the pollen filter out. Clearly that was the first time it had seen the light of day! I gave it a good hoover and put it back and will see about getting a new one.
Thank you! Found this thread after my blower packed up and have been driving to work in thermals with the windows open. I copied what you did and hey presto, my blower works again:)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts