Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: 1.8 petrol 89kw randomly does not start. The engine can be hot or cold it, it can br plus 20 or minus 20 outside it will still be random.
For example, today morning sat in car, pressed button, car started fine. Drove 10 miles, turned the car off and after 20 minutes it did not start. Do not know how to say it but we pushed the car and put it in gear and released clutch, in that way we started it. After that I drove 10 miles again, turn the engine off, then again on by pushing button and it started perfectly.

What have I tested:
Cars battery is perfectly fine.
The starter and generate are new, tested and working fine.
Jump starting the car from another does not work.
Diagnosed the car with computer-no errors.

I hope I covered all the info I can. I will add YouTube video to understand the problem better.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,704 Posts
Does it crank over but not fire or fail to crank ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it crank over but not fire or fail to crank ??
As English in not my native language the crank over was hard to understand, but after the push of a button, it just clicks, and nothing happens not even the sound of failing starter. There are just clicks under the bonnet and in car saloon.
But when the car does work, after push of a button, it starts perfectly fine as it should.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Could be dodgy connection or a cable somewhere.
How about testing the earth strap and connections from battery to body, and transmission to body. They make take a small current but fail when asked to take a large starting current.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be dodgy connection or a cable somewhere.
How about testing the earth strap and connections from battery to body, and transmission to body. They make take a small current but fail when asked to take a large starting current.
That is a good guess, as far as I know those connection were checked by electrician and they seemed to be fine. Forgot to mention it. Thank you for your response.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,650 Posts
Go to the Battery,put your hand on the Negative terminal, follow the black lead it goes under the wing ( ALL done from under the bonnet ) this lead bolts on to the inner wing,
Check this is clean Take battery off, its easier to get at.

Now take a photo of the under bonnet fuse box, with the cover off.
Now pull all fuses and relays out, spray this fuse box with contact cleaner NOT a penetrating oil
Now using your picture on your phone refit all fuses relays
See if that cures it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go to the Battery,put your hand on the Negative terminal, follow the black lead it goes under the wing ( ALL done from under the bonnet ) this lead bolts on to the inner wing,
Check this is clean Take battery off, its easier to get at.

Now take a photo of the under bonnet fuse box, with the cover off.
Now pull all fuses and relays out, spray this fuse box with contact cleaner NOT a penetrating oil
Now using your picture on your phone refit all fuses relays
See if that cures it
Thank you, will try this as soon as it will be possible.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,704 Posts
No crank...single click only would normally be connections, relays, earths or starter motor.
If a loud click.. solenoid is energising but starter motor not spinning, suspect main power feed to starter, solenoid or earths.
If repeat clicks (like a machine gun) almost always power related.

Probably no consolation but my Kia is suffering from similar at the moment.... I am 99% certain it is the starter solenoid but can't find time or desire to climb underneath it and sort it.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,950 Posts
No crank...single click only would normally be connections, relays, earths or starter motor.
If a loud click.. solenoid is energising but starter motor not spinning, suspect main power feed to starter, solenoid or earths.
If repeat clicks (like a machine gun) almost always power related.

Probably no consolation but my Kia is suffering from similar at the moment.... I am 99% certain it is the starter solenoid but can't find time or desire to climb underneath it and sort it.
I was loath to suggest this because Ourkid had spoken, but..........awfully familiar.
Does the dashboard go dark for a few seconds, then light up again? If so, it's a dead ringer for our fault of some years ago and it's a corroded tag on the starter solenoid as DD says. Maybe not as high as 99%, but certainly over 90.
It's an intermittent fault, so that's why you appeared to be able to push start. In fact it was starting normally- the keycard Renaults can't be push-started as such because the ignition isn't live unless the engine is running. Or something.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,679 Posts
Never overestimate the battery (I know you say it is perfectly fine). How did you test it. How old is it. Check the terminals for security.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts