Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault Laguna 2 - Buying Advice

hi thinking of getting a 1.9 dci laguna dci est.can anyone give me any help on this.thanks john

·
Administrator
21,719 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.

The best advice I can give is to make sure the car has full Renault Service history, has had its oil changes done on time or if possible early. The DCi engine is famed for turbo failure after the turbo seals degrade which can cause the engine to go into runaway mode when it runs on its own oil, causing engine destruction. :eek:

Most of the problem was caused by Renauts 18,000 miles between services, so if you get one, make sure you change the oil every 9k or so to avoid trouble.

Also if the cambelt is due for replacement soon (72K miles or five years old) then make sure that has been done.

Make sure everything electrical in the car works, as Renault electrics can be somewhat quirky sometimes.

Consider a warranty on the car, for a couple of years say (depends on how long your keeping it for), as if something goes wrong like the air con compressor or the turbo, thats going to cost a pretty penny.

The Laguna II's do have a lot of common faults, but most cars do these days (like the one I drive now, a Mondeo MK3). But the good thing about this forum is that you can resolve most of these problems yourself with the knowledge and help on here.

Good luck with your purchase.

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Haha, I hate to say it... But when I read that 'Laguna 1.9 dCi - buying advice' was the title, the only thing I could think of was 'don't'... But then again, they're not all bad and I'm sure if oil changes have been more frequent than Renault prescribe, it has more chance of surviving than most. The trouble is that they're nice cars - they're nice to drive - they're quiet - they're economical (on fuel, at least) pretty fast, even the 120s. But I think the risk of catastrophic turbo failure is just too great... :(

You might wanna try and get one without the talking computer ('cause it will constantly tell you you've got a blown lightbulb, even when you haven't, most likely) and tyre pressure monitoring is a PITA too - you'll be driving a car floating on three wheels in no time at all :d

·
Registered
2 Posts
paranoid about buying a Laguna II 1.9dci

hi all

well im looking to get rid of my rover 25 as need a bigger car.

Im going to test drive a laguna II 1.9 dci extreme but have heard all the horro stories about reliability etc.

What should i be looking out for? Its done approx 78k and has had 2 owners.

Any help or advice greatly received.

Cheers

John

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Hello and welcome John :)

It either due or overdue a cambelt replacement so that's the first thing I would check. If it hasn't been done it's a good bargaining tool ;)

Have a read of the forums and you'll see that turbo problems are common but if regular oil changes have been done and general servicing is maintained then you shouldn't expect any problems but it's definately worth looking into or listening for any turbo problems.

That's all the advice I can give with my limited knowledge but I hope someone else will be able to offer further advice :)

·
Administrator
21,719 Posts
Hi.

Look for full dealer service history, paying particular attention to when its had its oil changes. Most of the turbo problems on the DCi engines in the Laguna II are down to the 18k miles between services, which is way too long. If you do buy it, make sure you change the oil ever 9K or so to avoid such issues.

Also check EVERYTHING electrical works, as Renaults electrics can be a little quirky sometimes.

At 78k it should have had a cambelt change too, if not negotiate down the price as it will be around the 400-500 quid mark to get done.

Regards

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I would add that even if it has had more frequent than scheduled oil changes, you won't get much more than 90k out of a Dci turbocharger, so at 78k now you need to factor in the likely £500+ cost of replacing that.
Other things to check would include suspension noises, correct operation of the aircon, electric windows all work, courtesy lights work on all doors, both keycards present and working, tyre pressure monitors either working correctly or preferably disabled and that the engine pulls smoothly throughout the rev range with no flat spots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buying a Laguna Dci 02 plate - have I done the riight thing?

Hi All - great forum!

The reason for posting this thread is to see if anyone has a Laguna Dci and hasn't had any major or catastrophic problems with it! After reading all the horror stories on here and other forums after I've already bought a Lag Dci (but yet to actually pick it up) I'm understandably apprehensive about having bought one and wondering if I've made a wise choice even if it was a bargain ay £1,725.

It's a 1.9 Dci on an 02 plate with 88,000 miles but no Renault service history (God knows where the service book is) although it has got evidence of a service at around 80,000 miles and lots of receipts for various bits of work done in the past year (about 1,600 quid's worth!). The car is immaculate in terms of its condition inside and out and looks as if its been well looked after although it has had 4 owners. Everything electrical appears to work apart from the 2 rear windows which only go up or down an inch or so at a time and have to have the buttons repeatedly pressed in order to make them work. I took it for a short test drive of a couple of miles and the only obvious problem was a bit of vibration in the steering wheel which I gather is down to wheel balancing. There is a slight whine from the engine but not sure if that's the normal noise made by the turbo as I've never owned a car with a turbo before.

So what do you think? Does it sound OK or have I just bought a pup? My plan is to keep it for a few weeks or maybe a couple of months and sell it on before I have any major problems with it - I should easily be able to make my money back as long as it's still running well.

I look forward to reading your replies!

Cheers :cool:

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
You will probably be able to resolve the window problem by getting all of the windows back to the top of their travel (ie fully closed) then gently pull back on the two from widow switches at the same time hold them both in the pulled back position for approx 5 seconds.

Regarding the rest, I'm afraid to say your guess is as good as mine. :eek:

BTW it's well past the due date for a cam belt change, this doesn't come cheap, and will be catastrophic on the engine if it fails

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hondo - thankfully it's had a cam belt change in the last year so that should be fine.

What I really wanted to know is what proportion of people that buy these cars actually have so many problems. I know the turbo problems are classed as being common but it's difficult to gauge how likely it is that the turbo will fail as obviously most people on here talk about their problems with the car as opposed to its good points.

As for the slight whine I mentioned whilst test driving - is this a sign that the turbo's on its way out or just a normal turbo noise? I'd like to try and find out what the warning signs are for a failing turbo so I can pre-empt it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the identical model, had it for two years. Spent a fortune (I mean it) on repairs and it's only done 63K.
Now the bloody thing has a seized up engine and it happened sitting at the traffic light at a rush hour !!!

My advice to you is to sell it on as fast as you can.

So sorry to give you this news.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
As for the slight whine I mentioned whilst test driving - is this a sign that the turbo's on its way out or just a normal turbo noise? I'd like to try and find out what the warning signs are for a failing turbo so I can pre-empt it!
I'm afraid that I doubt that you will pre-empt the situation before it occurs :(
My Ex Lag 2 had 16k odd miles on the clock from brand new, the engine management light came on for a maybe two minutes then went off by itself other than that the car was running like a good un.

The following day I took the car back to Renault who said it sounds like the EGR valve, from what I remember they said to leave it with them they could replace it during the same day, a couple of hour later they telephoned me at home to tell the turbo had gone too.

I'm guessing here, I assume they found that it had started leaking through the turbo seals, because I lucky and had no dramatic failures like others that you read about on here. :)

BTW the engine sounded & was pulling fine.

C

·
0 Posts
Not had mine that long, about 4 months, but I've done 6k miles in that time, it now has 98k on the clock and has a full Renault service history.

There are far more good ones out there than bad, but people only look for forums when things go wrong, not when they go right.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
There are far more good ones out there than bad, but people only look for forums when things go wrong, not when they go right.
I'll echo this, people don't come on here to post, "had my laguna 3 years and its running great". If it runs ok for a few months chances are it will be ok, if it plays up then thats why its had 4 previous owners.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whilst we're about it, anyone out there know of a DCi 1.9 engine with no bits on it.
My 2002 priv sports tourer estate isn't touring any more. The engine seized solid whilst ticking over stood at the lights in a rush hour ! AND this car has had every bit of professional attention it demanded and didn't demand.

My intention is to get it running as cheaply as I can, run it back to Carcraft where I bought it from, a distance of 33 miles and change it for something very basic.
(For goodness sake don't tell 'em I'm a coming! )

Derek Miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all.

Just incase anyone does a search before buying a used Laguna Dci for advice like I did here's my advice and it echoes that of others on here - DON'T!!!

The reason I say this is that I had a lucky escape this week. The guy I was buying it from emailed me to let me know that the turbo had just blown (exactly the reason I was worried about buying it). I'm so glad it happened to him and not me and as there's no way I could have afforded to fix it at the moment.

I've now purchased a Ford Focus which in hindsight I should have done in the first place.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts