Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm so pleased I've found this site. I have a problem with the sat nav in my 2004 Laguna. I took out the disc and when I put it back it could not pick up a signal but it was reading the disc, after a couple of days it is now saying its an un mapped area. The satellite symbol is red and the disc symblol is also red. I have cheked the aeriel(ok) and the light in the sat nav player is orange. I can also hear the player reading the disc. I hope this is enough info for someone to help.
Pepster007 :confused:

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Re: satnav problem in laguna

Hi
I'm so pleased I've found this site. I have a problem with the sat nav in my 2004 Laguna. I took out the disc and when I put it back it could not pick up a signal but it was reading the disc, after a couple of days it is now saying its an un mapped area. The satellite symbol is red and the disc symblol is also red. I have cheked the aeriel(ok) and the light in the sat nav player is orange. I can also hear the player reading the disc. I hope this is enough info for someone to help.
Sorry to hear your problem with the Carminat. Don't despair.

How did you confirm the aerial was o.k.? From you description it sound like a problem with the satellite signal. This is either the wiring or more likely a fault with the shark fin.

Ian

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hi
Hi there
Have a look at my last post. I had a not dissimilar problem in my espace but dvd version. I to lost the GPS signal. Whether it was just by chance or not I disconnected the aerial at the back of the sat nav unit, left it out for 5 minutes, reconnected it and left it again for about 30 minutes. On restart the GPS was picked up again, bingo everything works perfectly. Worth a go, I was quoted 3 hours work plus £80 for the shark fin by Renault.
Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
Being a novice I only looked at the aerial connection to make sure it was tight and not corroded. This was done before I found this site. After reading the threads on here it does seem likley to be the shark fin aerial. One other thing. A few days ago a car decided to hit the near side rear quarter panel of the car. It was quite a bang. located just inside that area in the boot is some sort of electrical control box. I wondered if this box could be somthing to do with the sat nav.
Trying to keep my pecker up. :confused:
Pete.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sat nav Problem solved

Hello all
I would just like to say thank you to everyone who posted info regarding sat nav aeriel problems.
I have just received my replacment from ebay, it took 5 mins to fit and it works fantastic. just plugged it in and sat it on the dash, within 2 min's the symbols went green and I was away.
Thanks again to all who contribute to the site.
Pepster.:toast:

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Re: sat nav Problem solved

Glad you managed to get it fixed pepster007,Happy new year...:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
35 Posts

Hi there
Have a look at my last post. I had a not dissimilar problem in my espace but dvd version. I to lost the GPS signal. Whether it was just by chance or not I disconnected the aerial at the back of the sat nav unit, left it out for 5 minutes, reconnected it and left it again for about 30 minutes. On restart the GPS was picked up again, bingo everything works perfectly. Worth a go, I was quoted 3 hours work plus £80 for the shark fin by Renault.
Hope you get it sorted
thanks I will give it a go as I have the same problem and was given the same info from renault.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have exactly the same problem - the unit appears to be working and reading the map and tracks that I'm moving, but because there's no GPS signal (GPS symbol is red) the map symbol has also turned red.

I haven't got as far as checking the back of the unit in the glove box yet - pretty much a beginner to all things mechanical/electrical on this car, so don't have all the tools, but will certainly give the other suggestions on here a try before shelling out on a new shark fin!

Off to find threads about electric window problems and seized rear wiper arm now! :mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar sat nav problem to that mentioned in several posts. I havecome to the conclusion it is probably an aerial problem and my renault dealer has confirmed that is the most likely reason. I understand the only way to find out is to fit a new one. However, fitting a renault replacement is a ridiculous price as others have also mentioned. I have seen posts in several forums about buying a cheap version off ebay. The only ones I can find on ebay are dummies. Can anyone advise further about this ?

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Hi mate go to www.t-era.co.uk you should find what your looking for here,a magnetic mount ariel with 5 mtres of cable that allows you to fit the ariel where you want to out of site,all you need to do is unplug old ariel from rear of the c.d reader(in the glove box)and replace with new cable mines been in now for 3 yrs never given anymore trouble(he says fingers crossed)the one you want has connector type SMB,HRSGT5,FAKRA,SMA,MCX,MMCX,BNC.If no luck here try www.gpsantennas.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.

Im new to forums let alone this 1... but ive hooked onto this thread and looking for some help. (if im in the right place... guess we'll find out).

I have a 55 reg laguna 2 with all the sat nav gubbins and cd changer etc. the sat nav was working fine, but has decided to go off on its own routes and swim in the sea. Tried to reset the position but it veers off again.

Everyone is talking on theseforums about the RED and GREEN gps icon, but am yet to find someone with this same common problem but with a GREY gps icon. (traffic 1 is green).

Im happy to go out and buy a 10 quid gps antenna and attach it, but would love somones opinion on the GREY icon.

Also.... does this new antenna you buy plug into the back of the dvd/cd drive (above the radio buttons behind the flap) or into the amp thing at bottom of glove box?

Really hope someone can help me on this....

Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Chris
Sounds like it should be an easy fix.
Your description suggests that the antenna is knackered but as you correctly say, that would usually mean that you have a red antenna displayed. I think your problem is that you are running in simulation mode.

Ive sent you my personal email in a private message.

If you are not in simulation mode, we can look at other possibilities.

The antenna plugs into the back of the CD unit in the glove box. You can get to it by unclipping the carpet that is underneath the glovebox rather than removing the complete unit. Feeling by hand, the antenna is the thin single wire with a 90 degree plug on the back of the unit on the far right hand side - closest to the centre of the car. It's an SMB female jack.
Steven

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ive been checking through my notes and I don't have a listing for the gps item being grey. I do for the road map(cd) icon being grey. Can you check that it is your gps icon that is grey. There should be three icons together on the bottom bar just left of centre.

1 - The far left one tells you which mode you are in and will be one of 5 symbols:
- quickest,(clock)
- shortest distance (double ended arrow)
- use motorways (motorway pic)
- dont use motorways (motorway with diag line)
- avoid toll roads (box with tick)

2 - Middle icon is the map cd icon. It is a circle within a circle. The Renault technical note in Sep 2005 states that this icon may go grey if the cd is scratched or dirty. This icn should otherwise be green or red showing that the system has successfully placed you on the map, or not.

3 - The third one is the gps icon and looks like a television satelite receiver. This should either be green or red confirming you have satelite reception or not. You can test satelite reception using the diagnostics check in the menu. You will need the access code which is 4112 for every car.

I have switched on my demo mode and run it through a demonstration route and my gps icon stayed green throughout.

Another possibility is that somebody has replaced either the head unit or the cd unit. These units must be matched with the correct corresponding model numbers. If you can email me (see pm) your Renault part numbers - 8200 --- ---, I can confirm if they are a correct matching pair or not. There are about 12 different versions of each of these units but there is absolutely no way of telling them apart beyond reading the renault part number. This is by far the most common problem with these systems.
Steven
Steven

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi chris567,

Like you I have an 06 plate Renault laguna with the same sat nav issues. I have the green display showing Itraffic and grey wording displaying the word GPS. I have brought a new shark fin from renault and fitted it myself and still it will not pick up the satalites.

My thinking is there is a problem with the actual unit that contains the cd rom within the dashboard and this is why it goes off in different directions. I have also brought a gps aerial off of ebay (£10.00) new, plugging this directly into the back of the unit in the dash board and still no joy.

I also took it to renault and when the tech started looking to input the code M and C I knew he was thinking about the previous version of the laguna sat nav system which is what a lot of people have on here.

I suspect this is a wider problem with Renault but they are still selling this sat nav system.

If you do find a solution please let me know.

Cheers Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
My SAT NAV shows me French which i dont understand and whenever i try to change the language it asks me for a Language CD which i dont have . i was thinking maybe anyone could help me with a language change cd which i could download and burn on a empty CD then play it into the DVD Player for my 02 Renault Laguna II Phase I. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excavator. Many thanks for your help on this one. I followed your advice. Bought and refitted the new aerial. Bingo Green satellite.. Easier than i thought to hide wire just inside interior trim right back to near original aerial :cool: Saved me loads. Cheers :d

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi i have just bought a laguna with language disc but no map disc anyone able to tell me which disc i need so many out there i really have no idea ? thanks in advance :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts