Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can any one help.

I just changed my rear discs and pads on my laguna.
During the replacement I had to change the NS caliper as it would not wind back in even with a bit of hammer

The problem I have now is even after bleeding the brakes on several ocasions the pedal goes nearly too the floor. The brakes work but pull to the right slightly and you have to press hard to get anything.

Could I have damaged the master cylinder seals by hitting the old caliper piston ?

Before I started the job the brakes were very good. ( whish I had not started it now )

Thanks in advance from a newbie.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2004 Laguna spongy brake fault

Just driven the car to try it again.

I have noticed that if when slowing down you pump the pedal a couple off times the pedal feel improves.

If you start driving again and reapply the brakes the pedal goes to the bottom again.

Could this be due to the rear calipers not centering correctly on the pad?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

Make sure the pads are free to move in the carrier,also make sure that the pads are clipped into the caliper pistons correctly.

Have you bleed all of the brakes (not just the one you replaced?).Also,was it a new caliper you fitted or a used unit?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the reply,

I will bleed all the brakes wednesday. Also it was a referbished caliper I fitted fron Unipart. (Looked new)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

Unipart stuff is usually OK so I wouldn't expect the caliper to be at fault.I would definately bleed the complete system,if that has no effect then I would be tempted to clamp off each brake in turn and seeing if that has any effect on the pedal travel (obviously don't drive it with a hose clamped off).

Sometimes new pads can cause a slightly long pedal,but thats only if there are wear ridges on the discs,in your case you have new discs so that can be ruled out.

Just out of interest,is the handbrake OK?.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts

Why not try clamping all 4 brake hoses 1 at a time
each time checking brake pedal travel Regards
Mickeybo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks agin for the info.

Yes the handbrake seems OK. However I need to check that both sides are working.

If bleeding is not sucsessfull I will try clamping the flexi lines to isolate the fault.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

Good luck,let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Got it sorted! Bit embaressing , air in the system.:eek:

Still its all OK now..

Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

A nice and simple fix then,thanks for the update.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts