Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there if you are having water appearing in your front footwells and you have a sunroof, heres the fix.
You will need to repeat the process for the opposite front wheel.

Firstly you will need to jack the front of the car and remove the wheel.

Then proceed to remove the outer wheel arch lining nearest to the inside of the car, from memory i believe there is 1 torx screw at the bottom and 1 plastic nut about 10 inches up from the bottom.

Then you will need to be a bit forcefull to pull out the lining just enough that you can get your hand in.

There you will see a wjite hose about 8 inches up fom the sill with a black cap on the bottom with a lid on it this is what you will need to pull off but soon as you do this water will more than likely come shooting out, this cap isnt needed as the lid on it only serves to allow debris and mud to build up on it and track back up the hose and overflow over front lining of the sunroof and then the water runs down the inner trim of the windscreen and come out by your feet, not a good design if you ask me and potentially bad for the electrics.

While your there you could remove the foam pad in the sill under the pipe and rmove any mud and debris then relpace the foam.

If water doesnt come out of the hose when you remove the cap you will need to open the sunroof and in the front corners of the sunroof lining there is a whole in each corner you will need to gently push something down the hole to remove the blockage, one of the best things is the elastic curtain cords you get with the hook removed, however i didnt have one so i used an old tv coax cable with the end snipped off only cost a pound and pushing this down will remove the debris, then you can replace the lining and wheel exluding the cap and hay presto the blocakage is clear and the water will not come in again. :d

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Re: Laguna 2 footwell leak solved

A nice post which gathers up a number of previous posts and encapsulates them all in one thread - well done.

The cap on the end of the pipe is to discourage vermin from climbing in and nesting.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks madnoel10, Thanks, glad the cap did have a real purpose after all, id read a couple of peoples suggestions but they didnt seem to match my car one said there was an additional hole in the sunroof lining and they had siliconed it up and that had solved it,

but mine only had the one, then another said about lancing the hole/pipe but it didnt work on mine so looked through the haynes and spoke to a friend and we came accross the hose behind the wheel trim then once the cap was removed the lancing worked, just glad i dont get wet feet anymore, :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts

The plastic cover with vents which surrounds the wiper spindles obviously allows rain water in. The area under this panel has two drain holes one in either corner each of which drain into the same area as the sunroof drains. If these block then water will run into the front footwells at the drivers or front passengers feet..
Whe the inner arch liners are removed it is good idea to check by pouring wtaer over the scuttle and see if drains quickly out into the arches. To access the drains you need to lift the fornt edge of the scuttle panel for a looksee.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi there again, i presume inner arch lining is the one closest to the engine, i took off the one closest to the wheel.

Do the scuttle drains come through a pipe like the sunroof one if so does that have a cap on too.

Also is that on the cab side of the wheel arch as opposed to the bumper side, thanks again will need to search for these :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts

Undo the front edge of the scuttle panel and have a squint in with a torch.

The scuttle panel is the plastic cover which goes along between the back edge of the bonnet and the windscreen.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hi, yep looked there the other day could only see a large hole about the size of a 50p piece just thought i might be able to clear from below as those holes didnt seem to go anywhere must be looking in slightly wrong place :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts

no i don't know where the bottom of the scuttle pipe is. it may just be 1 large drain hole in the inner wing.

found a swimming pool in the drivers footwell this morning, took out the screw holding the plastic panel and sure enough the pipe was blocked with dirt - peeled the rubber back a bit a whoosh! passenger side is clear though.

hopefully tomorrow will be hot as i now need to dry the footwell.

just a quick pointer - with the door open there seems to be a rectangular slot in the bodywork - not sure if your could get a screwdriver in to prise the cap off the end of the pipe!

·
Registered
69 Posts

Hi there if you are having water appearing in your front footwells and you have a sunroof, heres the fix.

Will do this asap, thanks. The first time this happened, water came down from the windscreen pillar and soaked the fuses and presumably some computers back there. Alarm went off, car wouldn't run, gradually came back to life in stages as it dried out.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Tried to do this today, but the Renault wheel nut spanner thing broke on the third wheel nut. Tried with a socket and ratchet, broke the ratchet.:crazy:
Down to the Tool Shop tomorrow. I need one of those big 4-spoke things, for plenty of torque.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts

Tried to do this today, but the Renault wheel nut spanner thing broke on the third wheel nut. Tried with a socket and ratchet, broke the ratchet.:crazy:
Down to the Tool Shop tomorrow. I need one of those big 4-spoke things, for plenty of torque.

Get yourself an Extending Wheel Brace Wrench - much handier and will give you a lot more leverage.

See link below for example - just make sure the socket on the end suits your wheel bolts.

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/extending-wheel-brace-with-17-19mm-socket?source=froogle

·
Stockport Platinum
1,181 Posts
My suggestion is for a check and clear out at all drainage points every 2-3 months and then their would be no reacurrance of water in the footwells and yes it would seem a bit of a ball ache but much better than suffering with the hassle it causes especially in the winter months lol .

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.