Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , just contemplating checking out for a set of new reault alloys with good tyres . But im a bit confused what alloys to use compared to the ones i already have on the Lag1 , which are 4 stud .

Ive seen allot of lags about town with different kind of alloys on them and some of them i like , and looking for a larger alloy than the one i already have to improve handling and comfort .

so if you have any ideas could you post some photos of your laguna with renault alloys on it and what they are called so i can keep a look out for them .

enclosed is a photo of my lag 1 , which Az says has the 14inch RT alloys on it , they are nice but the car handles like crap with these tiny little tin lids

Attachments

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
you will prob find its not you wheels thats your problem. more then likley it will be suspention wear causing poor handling.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I believe Azurael will be selling his 16'' Laguna wheels from his old car,they would fit the bill perfectly.;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now that would be handy , which ones dose he have , sorry to sound completley ignorant . without a photo i dont know which ones he has .:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Hi lagoonajohn - I tried to respond to your PM but your inbox appears to be full. Here's what I wrote:

My alloys are indeed currently devoid of a car to attach them to :) Plus they have nearly brand new (budget, admittedly) tyres on them - I've done less than a thousand miles on 'em! I'm trying to find time to clean them up, but I'll send you some pics over when I do.

They're the 16" wheels from the Lag 1 phase 2 'Sport' model like these:

Reactions: lagoonajohn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no worries i like the look of them im sure we can come to some agreement when your ready . As long as the laguna keeps behaving its self i will treat her to some new boots .

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
looking for a larger alloy than the one i already have to improve handling and comfort .
You won't improve comfort fitting a larger wheel. The tyre wall will have to have a lower profile to retain the same rolling radius meaning it will be more crashy over potholes and speed bumps etc.

Reactions: VelSatisfied

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You won't improve comfort fitting a larger wheel. The tyre wall will have to have a lower profile to retain the same rolling radius meaning it will be more crashy over potholes and speed bumps etc.
I think tyres probably have more to do with it at this size - my Lag 1 was like driving a blancmange with the stock 14" wheels on. I didn't notice any loss of comfort going to 16s and in fact road noise was reduced noticeably (but as I said, probably more to do with differences between tyre brands.) It's not like 55 profile tyres are considered 'low profile' by modern standards :)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Hi, What you need to look at and its suprising how meany people dont know this, even at a renault service desk

Laguna 1, 1994 to 2001 has a 4 X 100 PCD
35 to 42 off set with a center bore of 60.1

The best wheel size would be 7.5J but get away from standered 15inc wheels and get bold

if you did a search say on ebay for

renault laguna 4x100 wheels, this was the 1st link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-RENAULT-LA...s_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item19c3482b17

I had a megan 2 with 18in team dynamic jets and then put a 20inc set of wheels and never had any problems with the ride, this was sold several years ago..

I have owned a Laguna 2 3lt V6 for the last 8 years, this car is compleatly modified running on 20inc wheels with coilovers, not a problem with the ride quolity etc, its just been put back on the road for the show season.

NOW, my comments above are not to every bodys tast, some keep it oem and just swap one set of wheels from another model but any one can do that.........

The largist whel on a Lag 1, 19,s, if you want to keep it nice go for 18,s, with a little drop.

This is my Laguna 2

And the Megane

18,s

And 20,s

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
my old lag1 had 17" ripspeed tornados fitted.
very nice:cool:

(still a big pile of spare bits off this car for sale, contact me for prices):d

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts