Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've joined this forum to try and find out what's happening with my Laguna and if it's a common fault.
It's a 1.8 petrol on a 03 plate. When the cars left overnight or for weeks it will start with no effort. If I then call at a shop or somewhere for a couple of minutes and try and start it again it will just keep turning over without starting. It will keep doing this for ages, the battery is not flat, it just keeps going over and over but will not start. If I then leave it for ten minutes and try again it usually starts. Please don't tell me I'm flooding it as I've tried not touching the pedal at all, holding it half way down and flat to the floor but all result in a no start and waiting for ten minutes before it will. HELP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Silvercars, your problem must be catching, I have been the owner of a 53 1.8 sports tourer for 1.5 months and it has recently developed the same fault. If I drive for about 15 mins stop at the local shop and try and start up again it will not start. 10 or 15 attempts is not un-common.
I am not starting up in gear or touching the pedals. The car starts first time every time from cold and sometimes first time when hot, but when it will not start it is a real pain. A 10 or 15 minute wait is not rare.
Help please?:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if it's good or not to know it's happening to someone else as well. Now all we need is someone that has managed to fix it!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, have the crank checked out on it, that's what happened to my clio. Apparently had something to do with the warm air hitting the sensor and not letting it start. Only worked after I had let it cool down. Hope this helps
Kerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I have read all the info on the forum with TDC, crank sensors, lambda exhaust sensors etc. What have members found to be the cure for hot or warm star problems. Can anyone help in locating the TDC on a 1.8lt 2003 laguna sports tourer and or give suggestions on how to clean, replace or test it.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8:) right om going from memory here so if any one wants to fill in bits feel free:d
the sensor itself is situated on top of the gearbox and is flush against the engine and is shaped like a gold boomerang(ill try and get a picture for you) its held in place by 2 10 mm bolts which need to be removed also the multi plug ono it.
cleaning it is simple as its a magnet and all you do is wipe it clean, youl probably find there is some small fillings on it which is normal(off clutch ect) also spray some wd40 on the connections aswell.

hope this has helped and good luck Alex:)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
heres a pick of the tdc sensor for you m8:)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Car spent the day at the local electrical diagnostic station today and they could not replicate the fault or find anything wrong. Emmisions fine, lamda sensor reading correctly, mixture not to rich. Not over heating and temp sensor working correctly but no way of telling if the TDC is functioning correctly. Therefore a new TDC from G,S & F £14.00 + VAT.
Thanks for your help Alex and hope this helps you Silvercars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try the "clean the gold boomerang" idea from Alex and see if that works, otherwise it looks like I'm going to have to start spending money. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers for help.
Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Right, fingers crossed. I have finally found the tdc on my 1.8 laguna 2. Disconnect battery with 10mm socket, move air box retaining rubber strap and gently release oand move aside. TDC located on side of the engine block, hard to see but located using a mirror and just look for the gold boomerang. Removed 2 retaining nuts again using 10 mm socket on an extension, occasionally moving the hoses to gain access. Good spray of WD40 and plenty of cleaning.
Re-fit, total time 15 - 20 mins and I was not hurrying and have little or no mechanical knowledge. Will report back in a few days on the progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Laguna won't start- where's my boomerang?

Glad there's someone out there like me! I had a look for the "top dead centre" and the yellow boomerang and after much stratching of head and dirty knuckles decided to go back to the BBQ.:confused:
Thanks to instructions from moosex11 I'll try again.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Silvercars it is hard to see but worth it. No hot start problems so far and such a easy fix. If you still have problems locating the blighter, let me know and I'll take some pics and try to post them on the site or email you.
Thanks for alex posting the pic of what the tdc looked like, it helped in the search. Cheers Moosex11

1 - 20 of 32 Posts