Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Renault Laguna RXT 2.0 16V
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I've read through the FAQ's and articles but didn't come across a solution.
I ran a few searches and found a few posts describing a similar issue to mine but they seem to have gone unresolved.
Here's me trying my luck.

I have a 1999, Laguna I, RXT 2.0 16V.
The instrument cluster works intermittently where the issue presents as follows:
The car is started and the cluster works normally.
After some amount of time, all of the dials stop working (revs, speed, fuel & temp) and the Odometer and trip display goes blank (it stays illuminated with no reading).
The length of time varies, sometimes the dials will 'die' immediately after starting the car and sometimes they can work for 20 - 30km before stopping
If the car is turned off and started again the cluster does not necessarily start working again.
It seems the car has to be off for a substantial length of time for the cluster to work when the car is started again (generally overnight).

It is worth noting that the lights in the cluster keep working (such as the handbrake and turn signal lights) when the dials and odo stop working.
Another observation is that the odometer reading doesn't increase while the odometer reading isn't displaying.

I've also attached photos of the cluster working and not working.
These photos were taken with the car idling, at first, the dials were on and about 5 min later the dials stopped working.

Working (note the full fuel tank, tachometer at 1000 rpm and the odometer reading):
Gauge Automotive lighting Car Odometer Speedometer

Not working (Note that there are still lights so the cluster has power going to it):
Vehicle Car Measuring instrument Automotive design Speedometer

This is a strange issue but I hope that the detail I have provided may help someone point me in the right direction.
If anyone has any further questions please do not hesitate to ask me.
I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I don't have a specific wiring diagram but I have looked at a basic one which I found on a search, There are two likely points of failure where there is some commonality for what's not working.
The instrument cluster itself, a bad soldered joint or more on the circuit board, or a faulty control unit inside the cluster or
A corroded or flaky multipin connector from the instrument cluster, assumed as not on my diagram because there are lot of wires coming from the cluster.
I think the first step is to remove the cluster, check all connections to it then trace the loom back and check any connectors.
If it's temperature related it's likely to be the control unit within the cluster and may not be a diy job.

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,758 Posts
This may not help you , but on my Megane the OBC display reading occasionally freeze or vanish, a light wack on the dash brings it back to normal, which i believe is also a bad connection somewhere... try giving it a slight bash, if it comes back then sure its a bad connection somewhere... and yes i know bashing it is not the answer 😝 i just have not had the time yet to fix it properly

·
Registered
1999 Renault Laguna RXT 2.0 16V
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!

@wozz I'm also thinking that it's an issue on the circuit board in the cluster because of how the Cluster still has power and that it's only some of its functionality that it loses.
Would you be able to share the wiring diagram you found?

@Prickleypear I'll give it a bash, it's crude but if that works then it's an easy way to diagnose a loose connection.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Ok. It should be easier to find if working sometimes, but not necessarily easy to repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts