Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
I have finally got fed up trying to diagnose the hesitation (Holding back, Loss of Power, Missing, judder call it what you want) issue between 1800 and 2000 revs. Going into the Dealers in Nottingham thursday. £75 plus VAT for the diagnostic (Rip Off Britain).

I will post back the results....

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Still trying to get to the bottom of mine,(a year or more) the hesitation/flat spot happens on light throttle between 1 & 2k plus the revs hunt at idle slightly which get worse as you increase the revs in neutral once past the 2k mark and its ok, been into Renault a few times & an independant diagnostic center they cant find the prob, they want to start throwing parts at it, which aint cheap.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, just had a phone call from Renault Garage, The EGR valve is at fault so £176 to sort it out..

Lets see if that fixes it....

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I arrived too late to discuss what was done but in the 7 mile trip home not even hint of what i call hesitation.

The trip to work and back tomorrow should tell me wether or not it is ok, I will try and ring the garage and find out what they did.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

I had this too, so be thankful it cost you so little ;) - my bill was £700+ to sort out the intercooler and glowplugs to rectify some /all of my problem. And that's on top of the inspection charge. despite all this care and attention the EGR valve still plays up now and again (black smoke that would make James Bond proud!)

Be interesting to know what they found in yours.

Thanks and good luck!
Paul

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well according to the garage, the EGR valve was clogged and they have removed and cleaned it and then re fitted road tested

Hmm not a lot to add but an expensive clean of the egr valve.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
What is the best way to clean the egr once it's been removed?
I imagine it gets gummed up over time so I was going to soak the business end in parafin overnight then use an old toothbrush & a cloth to get the muck off.
Will this be ok or is there a better way?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, Just a quick update, took the car for 60 mile round trip and no sign of the hesitation, I would say this is the smoothist the car has ever been..

Still not happy about the price but hey peace of mind...:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hesitation at idle 1.9 dci 2002 laguna

Hi all, Just a quick update, took the car for 60 mile round trip and no sign of the hesitation, I would say this is the smoothist the car has ever been..

Still not happy about the price but hey peace of mind...:)
HI TO YOU ALL............

Can anybody help please?
I have a 1.9 dci 2002 which has got a very rough idle.The car idles at 800rpm but the whole car seems to shake as if its missing.
I have changed air and petrol fillters but still there was no change,the car seems to run ok but when you pull up and come to a stop it starts shaking,but it does not always do it straight away.
Any idea's please.

Chris :confused:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
ok so having had my car now for 2 whole days, I would like to know in advance of anything that should come up in this nature, where is the EGR valve, is it a simple task to remove it and put it back without having to strip the engine to bits (can it be done outside the front of the house in a short time) and if so, how would one go about cleaning it.

I am looking at this as a preventative thing, if the EGR valve gets clogged up, then a once a year clean would do no harm if its a simple enough thing.

I suspect it wont be, and will not be something I will be able to do but have to ask.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
ok so having had my car now for 2 whole days, I would like to know in advance of anything that should come up in this nature, where is the EGR valve, is it a simple task to remove it and put it back without having to strip the engine to bits (can it be done outside the front of the house in a short time) and if so, how would one go about cleaning it.

I am looking at this as a preventative thing, if the EGR valve gets clogged up, then a once a year clean would do no harm if its a simple enough thing.

I suspect it wont be, and will not be something I will be able to do but have to ask.
I believe Haynes recommend EGR should be part of regular maintainence. Can't remember recommended mileage though ...

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi just thought I'd share my recent experience that may save people time and money. I was being plagued with a loss of power/hesitation around 2300 rpm. I read around the subject and being a tight Yorkshireman became quite worried about how much a fix would cost. I therefore decided to do what I could to sort the issue before lining the pockets of a Renault dealer.
First the EGR valve, this was easily located and removed ( 3x 11mm bolts) It was found to be heavily soiled (black soot) I cleaned it using carburettor spray cleaner (£5) and a soft tooth brush - total time 20mins
Secondly I located and removed the MAF unit, not much to look at here but under a bright light I could see evidence of tarnishing on the internal elements, a quick spray with carburettor cleaner and a clean with an soft pipe-cleaner and everything sparkled - total time 20mins.
I took the opportunity to replace the air filter (£15 oe) which was fairly well clogged.
The result - after 2 weeks of hesitation and worrying about turbo failure etc, the car runs smoother than ever and all for 1hrs work and £20 expense. The mpg is back to 50mpg as it was when I first purchased the car
I now intend to change the oil and oil filter every 6k miles and clean the EGR at the same time all of which I think will prevent the dreaded turbo failure I have read so much about!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where is the MAF unit on the 1.9 dci?
Hi the MAF unit is on the near-side of the engine bay behind the battery housing. It site in the outlet pipework of the air filter box, you'll see a multi-plug on the top, disconnect this, loosen the jubilee clip that secures the outlet pipe to it. Then remove the four screws that secure the lid of the air filter box remove the lid and the the whole air filter box...take great care whilst cleaning and you should be fine.

Merry Miller

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
If you could post some pics with this post i am sure you would gain some very well deserved rep points and it would be a very worth while cause.

Well done

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
EGR Cleaning

First attempt turned the ignition off uplugged the EGR connector and took out the 3 bolts, thats as far as i got , could not get it to come out at all! Was being very carefull as i know there expensive to replace but no amount of wiggling and pulling would shift it any tips anyone. Was pleased to see when i reconnected the plug it had not affected the on board computer.:eek:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Eggsy - yeh they just don't pull out as the EGR valve gets carbonned up inside. You need to remove the stop valve housing above it first and spray plenty of carburettor cleaner around and down through the port inside the inlet manifold. Then using a small punch about 8m in diameter start to tap of the inner edges of the valve in order to get it to rotate in its housing - it will normally take many attempts spraying cleaner in and tapping it back and forth until it will even attempt to come out - once it starts to move outwards spray even more cleaner around it and very gently tap it back home so that some of the cleaner is taken back into the housing - in all honesty I spent about 3 hours working at mine.:) Have a look through the link below.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22040&highlight=today+cleaned+egr+valve

1 - 20 of 255 Posts