Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Not sure if this has been reported before, but I have found a way to test the functions of the Laguna dashboard.
Hold down the computer display change button (ADAC?), on the right steering stalk and then insert the keycard.
This will make all of the characters on the LCD display come on as well as cycle all of the gauges from min to max. This I imagine will show whether the gauge is dead, or the sender.
If the button is pressed repeatedly the LCD steps through a bunch of diagnostics, (mine showed I had a charging problem). I will list as much info on these displays that I can check out should it be of interest. So far this is what I think happens.....

1. All LCD characters are displayed. All gauges step up/down. Warning lights all on.
2. Fuel remaining in tank? (appears to be in litres even though its a UK car!)
3. This shows '0.0' until the car is started then a number shows that varies with throttle (Fuel flow?)
4. Fault codes. This is a four digit/letter? code. Mine showed an 'h' in the last position (_ _ _ h) and a charging fault alarm on the graphics display (in red). The digit code can be reset by pressing the Odo' reset button, the graphics display stays put though.
Once the errors are cleared, or if there were no stored faults the display just shows four dashes, ie. _ _ _ _

The displays continuously cycle around these functions as the button is pressed.
Removing the keycard or pressing the reset clears the displays back to normal.

Even if its of no real use, watching the gauges 'dance' can keep the kids amused for hours:)

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING IF THIS WILL STUFF ANYTHING LONGTERM...
PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION.....
I'VE USED THIS 'HACK' OVER A DOZEN TIMES OVER THE WEEKEND SINCE I FOUND IT AND IT ALWAYS RESETS OK..... BUT YOU NEVER CAN TELL....... I WILL CHAT WITH A TAME RENAULT MECHANIC THAT I KNOW ASAP...

I still haven't fixed the charging alarm that it shows up... Strange thing is, in normal operation the charging all works fine with no alarms..
Maybe this feature just shows a fault history...similar to the OBD2 system? Anyone know?

SEE POST #10 FOR UPDATES

Cheers
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
good post bobford.
welcome to the forum.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I had my first Laguna 11 for about a year before I thought I had learnt everything about it but this is a new one.

I am very reluctant to try it after reading all the horror stories on the forum about the instument clusters suddenly switching to metric or ceasing to work, what is it around £500 for a new one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi davesss,
Yep I know, it could all turn out nasty. I'm not recommending it for anyone to try (dont try this at home kids), but now I've found it I'll keep experimenting and report any issues that it throws up.
The miles/kilometres issue is an odd one. I'm an electronic engineer by trade and I find it odd that once the dashes default to km they cant be reprogrammed to miles.
I suspect Renault do have a way but they are not telling anyone...! Could be too tricky even for dealers. Or maybe they just like the sound of the cash register 'kerching' each time a dash defaults? If my dash does ever get fried I will be the first to have a look at the innards to see what is going on.
Fingers crossed it doesnt happen though..

Ive put up a warning on the thread start...

Cheers
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The trip computer diagnostic works on quite a few models, possibly all of the more recent ones. On cars with the card, you hold down the trip computer button while inserting the card. On cars with the key, you hold down the button while turning the key.

Yep, no.3 is instantaneous fuel consumption in (I think) litres/hour. It's just a shame you can't get this display up while driving.

I don't think you can do any damage with the diagnostic mode, though it always resets the trip memories on mine when I exit it.

The Km to miles problem is caused by the dash losing its configuration and reverting to factory default. Presumably, it's a hardware fault with the configuration memory, otherwise you'd think there'd be a way of reversing the change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, a few phone calls and an email later and I have a few pdf pages from the Dialogys manual that details this function....

This feature is a valid Renault diagnostic feature...

As Horatio correctly says the third feature is the fuel consumption in litres/hour...

The faults are a stored history of four functions. There are only four letter error codes as follows..

t = an injection fault has been stored for >4 seconds.
j = a fuel gauge fault has been seen for >100 seconds.
d = an injector signal fault has been detected.
h = an oil level sensor fault has been detected.

It also looks like the letters can only appear in the sequence shown...ie. (_ _ _ h) or (t _ _ _) or ( _ j _ _) etc.. You have real issues if you see (t j d h)!

The normal display if there have been no faults is (_ _ _ _), if the dashes are flashing then this indicates a fault with the on board computer...!

These are the only codes the pages show! Seems like there should/could be more to me.

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
gr8 post.....tried it today and mine shows the charging battery fault aswell also tried on a friend's and strangely he's does the same even though both have no fault when in normal operation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi stargateeer,
Thats interesting, maybe its just a test display and not a fault. Three cars with the same display seems odd to say the least..
Cheers
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The fault and warning icons are meaningless when in diagnostic mode. They're just part of a test to show that all three backlight colours on the matrix display are working correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Horatio, and huwwatkins..
Thanks for clarifying, at least I dont need to worry. Are you aware of any other error codes, other than j,h,d etc?
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
renault drivers

great forum renault drivers are a breed apart..carry on the good work.......many thx

I Like to chew bubblegum and kickass but I'm all out of kickass:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
three of four letters!! not to good, i think

Ive got three letters, the t, d, and h, so now Ive seen the letters and the key card has been taken it has reset the codes, so when will the faults be registered with the computer again, should i just go to a dealer with the codes on a paper or go to a independent garage? please help me,worried about the cost of it all

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have tried this on my laguna 2 and it displayed the letter h does that mean my oil sensor is faulty as the toxic fume filter came on the other day not flashing just on constantly then went off yesterday morning also did not seem to be mis-firing at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have got Renault Laguna 16v 2001. I have recently got the dashboard reset now the problem is whenever i press the button to navigate through different readings it shows all readings like miles traveled, miles for current fuel level but when it reaches the service miles reading it displays blank and goes to reset mode and resets every reading. please need an advise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts