Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to fill up my 2003 Laguna II Sport Tourer 1.9dci Initialle tonight with diesel and couldn't get the filler flap to open. The keycard works fine on the doors, but won't open the filler flap! Can anyone help or suggest a way to get it open manually so I can fill up?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums.

I believe you can access the mechanism via the boot it involves removing some trim. I would not advise using any force as the covers are quite expensive to replace.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Sorry if teasching you to suck eggs.
You are pressing the unlock button twice, or pressing and holding it aren't you. Asonly a short press or single press will only unlock the drivers door.
Only mention it as had a "panic" phone call from my wife not long after we had our Lag, she couldn't undo the filler flap.

As otto says, there is a manual release leaver inside the boot trim. Not sure, but I think it tells you how to operate it in the user manual if you have one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi, first post! Just bought an 02 Laguna 1.9DCi Dynamique, love the car but I'm also having this problem, I don't have a handbook so would appreciate it if someone could explain how to remove the interior trim without breaking anything :) When you press the unlock button on the card (twice, long press, tried everything) the pin that holds the fuel cover shut doesn't retract. Is this something I might be able to fix myself? The dealer said to ring on Monday but they're quite far away so would prefer to have a go.

Thanks in advance
Dan

<edit> ok - I got the trim off and saw what I think is the release mechanism - 4 wires clipped into a black tray. They all looked ok but obviously somethings up - didn't see a manual release anywhere either. Would appreciate any advice.</ edit>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have found the answer

Sorry I couldn't get back on this one but I have been in hospital.

After the reply about going in through the boot trim I discovered the following.

Remove the trim over the rear off-side light cluster and this will expose some inner compartments which are sealed with foam inserts which you can remove easily.
Once the foam inserts are out of the way you can look inside and you will see the small box which houses the mechanism. see photo 1.
The 'ring-pull' on the back end if it should allow you to extract the pin from the filler cap, however, as was the case with mine, this had snapped off inside (see photo 2) and I had to remove the whole unit to get the filler cap released.
That was the next problem, how to remove the unit?
There are no clips / brackets visible so I turned the unit and found that a single nut holds it in place ( you may just see the threaded end - at opposite end to the ring pull).
Once I had removed the unit, the nut fell to the ground from behind the plastic wheel arch inner. I haven't yet been underneath to see how it will go back!!
I have tried glueing the snapped 'ring-pull' end onto the wormed shaft, but it wasn't strong enough and snapped off.
I will try something stronger.
With being in hospital I haven't yet enquired as to a replacement part, but I suspect that it may be a complete unit.
The motor closes the wormed shaft with quite a speed / force and I can see why it has snapped. Probably needs a design change!
Anyway, that's the unit removed and at least I can get fuel in the vehicle. Just need to be careful where I park it as the fuel filler is not secure.
Hope this helps. Plesae feel free to contact me again if you have any more questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok thanks John, Will see if I can get it out to take a look. I managed to twist the fuel filler cover with a screwdriver and it popped open so I can put diesel in, however it doesn't sit flush with the car now (resting on the pin) and it is of course, insecure. Hopefully the garage where I bought the car will be able to sort it without too much difficulty. If not I'll have to enquire into the price of a new part.

Thanks again
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks John
The info on how to get at the thing was really useful, mine has broken in exactly the same place, the only problem is how to get the nut back on, the only way I can see so far without taking the inner wheel arch off or putting the car on a ramp is to unscrew the 4 pins that hole the filler opening in place behind the flap, then release the little mounting clips then push the whole thing back into the car, this gave me just enough room to get 2 fingers in to hold the nut whilst turning the unit from inside the car (but then I only have small fingers anyway) also to keep the gap I had to get somwone to hold the thing apat to do this (otherwise you will have to wedge it with something). I scraped my hands to pieces doing it (& trapped my fingers a couple of times before getting help) but it seemed easier that way than doing it as above. If anyone has an easier way please let me know as the part does seem prone to breaking, but at least it is done for the time being.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Sorry I couldn't get back on this one but I have been in hospital.

After the reply about going in through the boot trim I discovered the following.

Remove the trim over the rear off-side light cluster and this will expose some inner compartments which are sealed with foam inserts which you can remove easily.
Once the foam inserts are out of the way you can look inside and you will see the small box which houses the mechanism. see photo 1.
The 'ring-pull' on the back end if it should allow you to extract the pin from the filler cap, however, as was the case with mine, this had snapped off inside (see photo 2) and I had to remove the whole unit to get the filler cap released.
That was the next problem, how to remove the unit?
There are no clips / brackets visible so I turned the unit and found that a single nut holds it in place ( you may just see the threaded end - at opposite end to the ring pull).
Once I had removed the unit, the nut fell to the ground from behind the plastic wheel arch inner. I haven't yet been underneath to see how it will go back!!
I have tried glueing the snapped 'ring-pull' end onto the wormed shaft, but it wasn't strong enough and snapped off.
I will try something stronger.
With being in hospital I haven't yet enquired as to a replacement part, but I suspect that it may be a complete unit.
The motor closes the wormed shaft with quite a speed / force and I can see why it has snapped. Probably needs a design change!
Anyway, that's the unit removed and at least I can get fuel in the vehicle. Just need to be careful where I park it as the fuel filler is not secure.
Hope this helps. Plesae feel free to contact me again if you have any more questions.
Had exactly this happen to mine today.

It's been making a horrible grinding noise for a week so I guessed it was on its way out.

Accessing the unit is easy (when you know how)

It goes through the wheel arch bulk head. The main unit is accessed via the cover for the rear light cluster in the boot.
The single nut that goes on the other side of the bulk head is accessible after removing the rear wheel arch liner.
Jack up car; remove wheel; support it; remove liner (two bolts, three screws and two platic plugs.
Bolt is then in easy reach.

Of course with Renaults nothing is simple. One of the studs for securing the liner sheered off in the process of removal.
Had to remove internal trims and drill out the old stud to replace it.:steam:

About the fault; I can't see an easy way to fix it. There is a lot of force from the geared motor at this point. Glue just won't hack it. There is a small rubber buffer fitted just behind the point that it sheers and although this probably absorbs some of the shock, after time the plastic gives up.

Anyone fixed one of these?

Cheers,

Ian
Lock.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts